ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Tracking object that moves off screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles HouseTracking object that moves off screen
by on May 7, 2012 at 9:37:36 pm

I'm not sure how to fix tracking points manually AFTER setting the information to the null and then parenting the null to the text. I've tried changing the values numerically but it doesn't do anything, and by looking at the tracking points on the image, they don't look particularly off.

The biggest issue is that I'm trying to have an object come on screen halfway into the shot and the exit screen, tracked with another object (for example, say I had a pan across a keyboard, the letter D was on screen for maybe half the shot, and I wanted to put a word next to the letter D, so it starts off screen, comes in with the letter, and exits screen with the letter). This seems easy enough, but it always idles on screen before the tracking point appears for some reason. I tried tracking to a few different points that come on and off screen at different times, and then lining them up, and that helps, but the text still appears on screen before it should and I can't figure out why.

I've tried finding a Mocha tutorial, too, but every tutorial is for an object that is always on screen and never exits, and adding something that stays on screen.

Here's the video. I'd like to put text next to the stereo, which starts and ends out of frame, and remove the security system logo.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Tracking object that moves off screen
by on May 8, 2012 at 12:49:53 am

Pretty simple tutorial in this thread addressing the issue:http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/1017437

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Charles HouseRe: Tracking object that moves off screen
by on May 8, 2012 at 5:49:49 am

"But try that first,.and if it doesn't work,.just make two track,...and "linked" them in AE."

I appreciate your input, your sample looks great. I don't take your meaning on two tracks and linking them, maybe you could explain? Thank you!

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Tracking object that moves off screen
by on May 8, 2012 at 8:05:52 am

Hi Charles, unfortunately, your explanation of the issues you are facing does not indicate where the real problem lies.

I suggest that you post the result of your track so that we can have a better idea of what it is that you are trying to achieve and where the 'error' occurs.

Till then, take a look-see at these tutorials -
1) This one tutorial video actually covers two different areas in mochaAE/mochaPro - for your specific need (tracking planes that move off-screen), pay attention, starting from 09:13.
http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/04_advanced_tracking.m4v/view

2) This other tutorial by Eran Stern shows you how to continue tracking an object that leaves the screen [when there are no co-planar (mochaAE/mochaPro) areas for tracking or when Offset Tracking isn't possible with AE's built-in point-tracker).
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/stern_eran/Walk_in_the_Park.php

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

by on May 8, 2012 at 4:03:50 pm

What I am trying to achieve is pretty basic: the sample Kubo posted is exactly what I'm looking for. However, when I try it, it simply doesn't work. I tried John's tutorial (granted, without the plugin the guy was trying to push in that video), and when I paste the tracking info to the null in AE, it just doesn't work. The tracking is entirely wrong: the text is on screen the whole time, it's inaccurate, it increases in size halfway through...

The tutorial makes it seem so simple, but it just doesn't seem to work for me.

Return to posts index

by on May 8, 2012 at 4:29:19 pm

I'm uploading the results, though there's not a lot you're going to learn from it. Basically, it didn't track right. At all.

Here's what I'm doing:

In Mocha

- Follow tutorial and track surface in middle of clip before and after.
- Copy tracking data

AE

- Import video
- Create comp sequence from video
- Add text in middle of video where I'd like it to sit at that point
- Add null layer
- Paste tracking info to null
- parent text to null
- get wacky tracking that in no way resembles what came out of Mocha

So, presumably, I'm doing something wrong on the AE side. I'm taking that process from another video, since the original video is trying to sell a different plugin.

Return to posts index

by on May 8, 2012 at 5:22:20 pm

Return to posts index

by on May 8, 2012 at 5:53:05 pm

I'm assuming that the track looks OK, solid in mocha but upon pasting the data into AE, the track goes awry. Such a case is often related to -
1) different frame rates being reported/used in mocha & AE
2) different pixel aspect ratios being reported/used in mocha & AE
3) different resolution being reported/used in mocha & AE
4) different duration being reported/used in mocha & AE (less common compared to the three aforementioned cases)

Therefore, ensure that these variables are correct and used accordingly in both mocha and AE.

Further, upon pasting the tracked data onto the Null in AE, delete all of the Null's Anchor Point properties and reset its value to 0. This step while not improving the tracked data in any way, ensures that the Null resides in exactly the same place where you placed your Surface Area in mocha. It's a visual assurance/cue that the data from mocha is accurately transported over to AE.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on May 8, 2012 at 10:32:54 pm

Hello. Thanks for the post.

The composition in AE and the Mocha project are built around the same clip, so they should be the exact same settings.

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2012 at 12:35:10 am

[Charles House] "The composition in AE and the Mocha project are built around the same clip, so they should be the exact same settings."

Your issues exhibit similar characteristics to those issues I pointed to in my previous post. At issue is that mocha may incorrectly interpret pixel aspect ratio or interpret frame rates which are different from AE. You will do well to double check the variables I alluded to earlier.

Lastly, there could be issues with your file format as well as the version of mocha and AE. Ensure that you have the latest updates for your version of mocha and AE.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2012 at 1:18:20 am

I checked everything; everything is correct and up to date.

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2012 at 2:50:12 am

It's either user-error or you failing to look at the variables accurately. Your best bet is to review the tutorials and hopefully you'll sort things out.

Another option is to download a Camtasia to record what you're doing starting from importing the clip in mocha right up until you paste the data in AE and perform a RAM preview.

Good Luck
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on May 9, 2012 at 12:21:14 pm

[Kubo Yoshiharu] "i think you making a mistake regarding the paste data, the data that you paste data in After Effects is NOT AT THE SAME FRAME like you track in Mocha."

Good call Kubo! This IS another common user-error when pasting mocha data into an AE layer.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: Tracking object that moves off screen
by on May 9, 2012 at 4:52:34 pm

Check tutorials like this: http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/04_advanced_tracking.m4v/view

You want to do an "unlink track" and it should not be difficult with mocha.

Best,
Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]