ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Confusing settings for MPEG file

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Morales
Confusing settings for MPEG file
on May 4, 2012 at 2:53:38 am

I am getting some confusing information from a client for whom I create lobby display animations. I am creating 30-sec clips at 1280*720, but they are requesting the following specs which seem to be somewhat conflicting:

Format: MPEG-Transport Stream
Overall bit rate: 5 Mbps
ID: 224 (0xE0)
Format: MPEG Video
Format version: Version 1
Maximum bit rate: 5 Mbps
Width: 1280 pixels
Height: 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio: 1.222

They initially requested MPEG-1 files, but I cannot rectify how to output an MPEG-1 Transport Stream; MPEG-2 no problem. And when I try to configure a 1280*720 MPEG-1, I cannot set my bit rate as low as 5Mbps. I am at a loss as to how to set this up in either AE, Compressor or Adobe Media Encoder. Any help? I'll gladly supply further details as necessary to get a handle on this.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Confusing settings for MPEG file
on May 4, 2012 at 6:25:59 pm

Fred, that spec doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, either. The phrase "Format version" is utterly meaningless.

MPEG-TS (part of the MPEG-2 standard) can technically hold MPEG-1 Part 2 video, but I don't know which of the mainstream encoders would actually let you do that.

5 Mbps seems low to me for MPEG-1/2 video at that frame size.

And is the DAR really 1.22?

When I get a really bizarre spec like that, I usually just ask for a file they have that plays well and take a peek at it myself.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Fred Morales
on May 4, 2012 at 6:36:34 pm

Thanks for the reply Walter and for confirming that these are very odd settings. I've been trying to go visit these guys in person to see there set-up, but haven't been able to yet; it's something of an awkward situation (partner and/or competitior kind of thing) My understanding is that they are building their animations in AE as well; do you know if it's possible to "export" out a render module/profile so that I can simply load it into AE for rendering?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 4, 2012 at 8:53:06 pm

[Fred Morales] "My understanding is that they are building their animations in AE as well; do you know if it's possible to "export" out a render module/profile so that I can simply load it into AE for rendering?"

Yes. See Create, manage, and edit output module templates [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]