ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to isolate yellow colour from footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott GreenHow to isolate yellow colour from footage
by on May 3, 2012 at 1:57:16 pm

OK, so I've managed to highlight a particular colour in my footage for this music video and turn it to yellow.

And now what I want to do isolate the yellow from everything else to use as a matte/alpha. And also to add a glow and motion blur effect that affects just the yellow and nothing else.

Can anybody give me any tips on how to best achieve this please?

Thank you.

Splurj | Creative Multimedia Design Manchester

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to isolate yellow colour from footage
by on May 3, 2012 at 2:05:57 pm

Depending on the effect you used, there should be a view in the effect that shows the shape being colored as white on black. You could leave that view on to create a luma matte.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Scott GreenRe: How to isolate yellow colour from footage
by on May 3, 2012 at 2:13:49 pm

I used Hue/Saturation to remove the colours that I didn't want, then adjusted the Hue and Saturation of the colours that I did want to make the yellow?

Creative Multimedia Design Manchester | S©tt Green | Splurj

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How to isolate yellow colour from footage
by on May 3, 2012 at 2:30:06 pm

One method would be to isolate the color channel(green) that is predominant in the hat and then use the effect Channel ->Set Matte to green channel. Adding some levels effects before and after also helps to isolate the color a little more.

You may have to use a mask/tracking afterwards to remove unwanted stuff in the alpha channel. Here's a quick example project: 4072_creatingalpha.zip

Also, if you just want something to show up in there, place a copy of that layer on top. Put what you want to be in the yellow on bottom and change the transfer mode of the top layer to saturation.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Scott GreenRe: How to isolate yellow colour from footage
by on May 3, 2012 at 2:49:58 pm

I imagine that I might also be able to use the Channel -> Set Matte technique to select the Yellow colour rather than removing the Hue/Saturation adjustments that I've already made to create a Matte from that?

It's worth a try I suppose.

Thanks a lot John, I'll give that a whirl later on and see how I get on, cheers.

Creative Multimedia Design Manchester | S©tt Green | Splurj

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: How to isolate yellow colour from footage
by on May 5, 2012 at 4:33:46 am

Why not just use Primatte or Keylight. Simply key out the yellow and use that as an inverse Alpha Matte.

The higher they fly... the much.
My Reel:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]