ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Work Flow Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave SimpsonWork Flow Question
by on May 2, 2012 at 3:38:42 pm

I have a project that will be delivered on DVD to be played on a large 16 x 9 Screen at a Theatre.
I am working in NTSC with AE CS5.5.

The video is a preview of the upcoming season where basically we're showing about 30 seconds of each artist. Unfortunately the client has only footage downloaded from You Tube or ripped from the artists DVD.

Question 1 would be, Should I pre convert the you tube footage from flv to a QuickTime file (Pro Res?) before doing anything in AE? I planned to up convert some of the files with Magic Bullet Instant HD. I know it won't be perfect but I'm hoping it will look reasonable. I will also frame the footage in some kind of a box so it doesn't have to be full screen hoping that will help.

Question 2 What comp size to start, HDV HDTV 720? They want it in wide screen format.

Finally would you render the files in a lossless codec then convert it to author the DVD?

Any Pointers appreciated.

Dave Simpson

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Work Flow Question
by on May 2, 2012 at 3:45:55 pm

DVD is standard definition by default. If your deliverable is to be DVD, then you can work with standard definition throughout. That said -- you may want to double-confirm an SD DVD deliverable before you start.

Transcoding is probably a good idea -- lightly-compressed intraframe footage is much easier to do effects work with than heavily-compressed interframe footage.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave SimpsonRe: Work Flow Question
by on May 2, 2012 at 6:37:57 pm

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the post. Yes, my contact says they will be playing it from a Standard Def DVD but they are in Marketing so I am going to try to speak with the tech at the theatre ;-) I guess if it's going to be SD should I just use NTSC DV Widescreen for my comp? As far as rendering out would you do something lossless, then convert it to ??? for burning a DVD for the best look?

Thanks for the help.

Dave Simpson

Return to posts index

Benjamin AusmithRe: Work Flow Question
by on May 2, 2012 at 7:39:05 pm

I've had success exporting directly from After Effects using the DVD preset.

Return to posts index

Dave SimpsonRe: Work Flow Question
by on May 2, 2012 at 7:50:25 pm

Thanks Benjamin. I'll do a small test comp and try that.

Dave Simpson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved