ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Stroke effect no longer visible below 1.0

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron RosapepeStroke effect no longer visible below 1.0
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 11:29:22 pm

I've been animating travel paths along a map by applying the stroke effect to paths created with the pen tool. This was working fine until I had to zoom in close.

The current route needs to have a much thinner stroke value as I am zoomed in closer to the map so the stroke appears too fat. However, when I drop the brush size below 1.0 in the stroke fx panel the stroke is no longer visible.

The controls go below 1.0 so I am wondering if it is pilot error on my part or if 1.0 is the lowest the stroke can be set and still be visible.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Stroke effect no longer visible below 1.0
by on May 1, 2012 at 1:58:21 am

Use a Shape Layer. In fact, whenever you want to use the Stroke effect, I strongly suggest that you instead use a Shape Layer which has the added benefit of being vector-driven. This comes in handy should you want to scale up your paths. You will also likely prefer the hard-edge from a Shape Layer as opposed to the rounded-edge from the Stroke effect.

You can copy the mask path into a Shape Layer's Path Property.

Goto Layer->New>Shape Layer. Twirl down the Shape Layer's property menu in the Timeline. Then Add the following Shape Operators: Group, Path, Stroke and Trim Paths.

Copy the Mask Path, select the Shape Layer's Path Property and paste. Then adjust the necessary properties to suit your needs.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Aaron RosapepeRe: Stroke effect no longer visible below 1.0
by on May 1, 2012 at 2:05:54 am

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved