ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Recreating The Last Scene From Titanic with a Green Screen Problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carr Lockwood
Recreating The Last Scene From Titanic with a Green Screen Problem
on Apr 30, 2012 at 1:01:47 pm

Hey guys whats up. My church resently asked me to do some VFX for our church ministry and they want to do a parody of the last scene of Titanic when the girl is on a piece of wood and jack is in the water dieing.
Now I was thinking best way to go is a green screen but Im concerned about a few things.

1. jack hast to be lower than the girl seeing he is in the water
2. However, the girl actor still needs to be laying down
3. how to i make it look convenceing jack is in the water

I have seen stuff done when it comes to water will green foam balls or blocks and you just put your actor in all this but I dont have the time or the money to do this
any ideas?
Extra info:
10 x 20 Large Chromakey Chroma Key Green Screen
2 large white lights

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Recreating The Last Scene From Titanic with a Green Screen Problem
on Apr 30, 2012 at 1:19:13 pm

here's an idea, imho

since the original scene was shot so it was night, very dark, only the 2 actors and 4 ft of water was visible, you could cheat, well, every thing. Put them in a pool at night so only they and a little water is visible.

Remember, the "camera only sees what light shines on". Then in post, simply do a quick day for night bluish tint. make sure it's 30p or 24. 60i would look too fake imho.

Return to posts index

Carr Lockwood
on Apr 30, 2012 at 1:45:17 pm

WOW putting them into a swimming pool didn't even cross my mind ya i guess that would be an idea however how do I make it look like the girl is lying on a piece of wood and making sure there are icebergs in the background? Would i just set up a green screen beside the swimming pool in the daytime have my actor lay down on the green screen on the edge of the pool and get my other actor to jump into the water. and in post just do a simple day to night conversion?

Return to posts index

Benjamin Ausmith
on Apr 30, 2012 at 5:14:49 pm

Faking water won't work, it has too many properties. Floating, getting things wet, and let's not forget reflections. Your green screen reflecting in the water is going to give you so many issues.

I agree with using real water, and I'd try to avoid greenscreening if you can. Perhaps a black sheet if you need to obscure the pool. For icebergs, I'd just composite them in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]