ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Camera Twitch/Shake Colour transition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom GettyCamera Twitch/Shake Colour transition
by on Apr 28, 2012 at 4:06:48 pm

I'm fairly new to after effects, and have recently seen a technique that i cant quite replicate. So, i was wondering, does anyone know how to do a transition between shots in after effects, it sort of jerks the camera and shakes into the next shot. It can be seen in this video at 5.58mins and various other points throughout.

Return to posts index

Tom GettyRe: Camera Twitch/Shake Colour transition
by on Apr 28, 2012 at 6:50:25 pm

Forgot to say, heres the link...

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Camera Twitch/Shake Colour transition
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 2:34:04 pm

It looks like there was some time-remapping, perhaps multiple shots that the editor was transitioning to/from in the square-crow sequence that can be executed by precomping the layers and dissolving between shots. As far as the effects though you can accomplish this pretty easy.

Add CC Motion Tile to your layer and check the Mirror Edges option. Add a shift Channels effect. Now duplicate your layer twice, for a total of 3 layers. You want to make each layer display only one color channel. So for the top layer -> Shift Channels change the "Take Green/Blue" to Full off. Do this for all three layers so you have a Red/Green/Blue layer. Now change all the layers tranfer mode to screen.

Finally just animate the Motion Tile center for each layer very quickly. Add a start keyframe, move 5-6 frames forward and add an end keyframe. Now in the middle add a keyframe that moves the video. Do this for all 3 layers, but don't move them all the exact same.

You might also add some motion blur to taste.
I made a simple example project in case my explanation was unclear:

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Tom GettyRe: Camera Twitch/Shake Colour transition
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 8:25:13 pm

Thank you so much, that is exactly the effect i was trying to achieve. Really appreciate you putting in the time to help, this will definitely come in handy!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved