ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

When to use photoshop for video instead of after effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
viking jonsson
When to use photoshop for video instead of after effects?
on Apr 28, 2012 at 8:50:11 am

Hello,

I have used After Effects for about 3 years now and I love it! I noticed some time ago that PhotoShop also works for video manipulations, but I never felt like it was anything that I could use. Now I'm going to do a big paint-out and clone project, I think PhotoShops tools is better in this area ( i haven't used them on video...).

I would like to know when one would use PS for video manipulation instead of After Effects?

What is the pros of using PS? In what kind of work would You rather use PS over AE? Are there any good guides to learn using PS for video?

thank you!

Regards
Viking Jonsson

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
Re: When to use photoshop for video instead of after effects?
on Apr 29, 2012 at 12:31:02 pm

Viking,

I use both Photoshop and After Effects CS4 for video. They each have their advantages, but working with the timeline in PS is pretty rudimentary. Cleaning up an individual frame is easier for me in PS. Some tools and effects in PS are not available in AE - for instance, I often use curves with the target-adjustment tool when doing very accurate color adjustment and it is not available in AE. Auto tone/contrast/color in PS provides a very quick fix when I'm on a tight deadline.

You can dynamic-link to Premiere from AE and not in Photoshop. Noise reduction in PS is not designed to be consistent from frame-to-frame, and anything with effects on an animated mask can be difficult in PS. I also find that anything that needs audio work is best done in AE.

Richard Harrington has some tutorials here on the COW.

Jim
ColorBurst Video

Return to posts index

viking jonsson
on Apr 29, 2012 at 12:43:49 pm

Hello,

Thank You for the answer.

Can You explain why PS would be better in the clean up? Is it for the patch tool, or is there more?

I myself find PS to have a nicer clone brush, but that might just be in my mind..

regards
V

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
on Apr 29, 2012 at 3:43:19 pm

For me, it's only better when cleaning up an individual frame. Easier to isolate the frame and also it seems to me that PS has more clean-up tools, like healing brush and magic wand.

Jim

Return to posts index

viking jonsson
on Apr 30, 2012 at 7:23:15 am

Thanks again!

I'm definitely going to look in to PS for some clean up!

Regards
V

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]