ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Blood Trickle Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris WoodBlood Trickle Effect
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:09:55 pm

Hello, I have a scene in my film where my character (Jon) gets stabbed by another character (Dovahkiin) (yes, it's a high-budget Skyrim film)

Here is a frame from the film

So I sought some advice from a professional VFX artist and he recommended that I export a frame at the point where the dagger exits the front of Jon's throat, I mask out just his throat, move that into a seperate comp and animate blood trickling down it. I then put it back into the original footage and motion track it to his throat.

The reasoning for this is that Jon gets stabbed and does this really primadonna fall to the ground, his neck however maintains more or less the same shape and size as he falls sideways out of frame.

I was wondering if anyone can help me get started on the blood trickle effect. I have some nice Alpha footage of blood, but nothing that resembles a trickle unfortunately.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks a whole bunch :)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Blood Trickle Effect
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:55:55 pm

Create your own blood trickle- put some red food coloring in water, mix a touch of black or dark blue, corn syrup and thickener (here's a bunch of other recipes: ), fill a baloon (white or green, matte finish) and stab that. You can get some pretty decent elements with any HD camera/DSLR.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Chris WoodRe: Blood Trickle Effect
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:34:07 pm

I saw on a SFX channel on Youtube about using a 2 Litre bottle as a mould for a neck, use modelling putty to create a kind of skin, then just drizzle fake blood down that. Seems like it would get results!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved