ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Multi-processing disabled

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch HardisonMulti-processing disabled
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 5:25:05 pm

I have a new mac pro with 12 gig of ram and 12 processors but AE CS5 keeps flashing "insufficient RAM multi-processing disabled" when I try to render a preview or when I'm just editing. What is the deal?

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Multi-processing disabled
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 5:59:40 pm

Likely the settings you have starve AE. 12GB may seem like a lot of memory but each process (on a 12 core you have 24 processes) can use up to 3GB.

As well you need to leave some RAM free for the OS and other apps. You may only be able to use 3 or 4 processes and allocate them 2 GB of RAM.

See Todd Kopriva's notes on optimal use of memory.

I have a 12 core with 32 GB and only use 8 processes with 3GB allocated to each one.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Multi-processing disabled
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 6:02:44 pm

It could be due to your memory & processor allocations. Here are some useful guidelines to follow:

The short version -- don't use even close to all your processors & all your memory for AE, because bad things will happen.

If you haven't run the updates to AE 10 since you installed it, you should probably do so. Updates fix a lot of strange AE behavior.

Finally, you're sort of in the gray area of multiprocessing. 12 gigs may seem like a boatload, but not for a 64-bit application. I have a dual quad core machine with 8 gigs at work, and I don't use multiprocessing. I have a dual quad-core machine with 24 gigs at home, and multiprocessing is fine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mitch HardisonRe: Multi-processing disabled
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 6:24:21 pm

thanks so much for the help guys

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved