ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Specific motion tracking question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brad hebertSpecific motion tracking question
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 11:18:26 pm

Final Cut expert, yet After Effects noob, here.

I have a slow pan of a room with a bunch of x's taped on the walls to motion track. I'd like to link images to each point, basically 2D pictures, that will float in the air as the camera pans by.

I've searched through online tutorials and understand how to set tracking points, but I'm not sure how to achieve the offset from the wall I'm looking for. Also, I want the perspective of the pictures to shift and remain parallel to the wall.

Any help is very appreciated!

Return to posts index

Andrew SomersRe: Specific motion tracking question
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 1:07:12 am

The After Effects tracker probably won't do what you need - it sounds like you will need a true 3D track, and then import the 3D camera into After Effects.

Though you *may* be able fake what you want - using expressions with the "toComp" function may help:

And also, a MOCHA track might get you close enough that you may be able to offset some planar tracks to get the look you are going for.

Return to posts index

Chris ButtacoliRe: Specific motion tracking question
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 8:27:04 pm

EXCEPT.... a pan has no perspective shift. A dolly or track shot that moves through space is what causes perspective parallax. And to track a shot like that, you would need a 3dTracker, like the one from the Foundry for AE. For a pan track, the AE tracker should work just fine.

Maybe you are using the "pan" lingo incorrectly??

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Specific motion tracking question
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 6:13:03 am

Without looking at the shot, it's impossible to offer definitive solutions. A 3D tracker should work but mocha should also work.

To get what I call, 'induced parallax' (ie creating parallax in post), you can switch a 2D layer into a 3D layer and then offset/move it in z-space. The abbreviated process starts with a track with mochaAE/mochaPro, applying the tracked data to your layer in AE (2D layer), switching the layer into a 3D layer, offsetting the layer in 3D space to create an instance of 'induced parallax'.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

brad hebertRe: Specific motion tracking question
by on Apr 28, 2012 at 4:08:48 pm

Thanks! I was thinking there might be an "easy" (if a bit rough) way of doing it. Being pretty new to motion graphics, this is the only option for me right now. Good to know the more advanced options as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved