ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

CS5.5 workflow PP to AE for Color Finesse and back again

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John YoungCS5.5 workflow PP to AE for Color Finesse and back again
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 9:44:54 pm

I have been more and more impressed the more I use Color Finesse inside of After Effects. Easy to use and looks great. But my workflow is becoming quite burdensome so I would like to throw it out to the community to get some suggestions. I am a one-man band so this is all happening on the same computer.

Here is my current workflow:

-Shoot on Sony EX-1 and Canon 60D
-Edit native mpeg (EX-1) and H.264 (60D) in Premiere Pro
-I use Dynamic link to send individual clips to After Effects for small FX needs (such as stabilization)
-After editing FX clips in After Effects, I export MOVs (animation codec) and bring them back to Premiere Pro in place of the original clips.
-----when picture and sound are locked----
- I open the locked Premiere Pro sequence in After Effects for color correction.
- I use Color Finesse for primary grading (I usually only do primary grading for most the basic corporate videos I do.)
-Add to render queue to export final finished product.

On the simplest level, this works pretty well for me. Where I run into trouble is, a month after finsihing, my supervisor tells me we need a small change in the video. Right now my current workflow for those situations is:

-Make proposed edits in Premiere Pro
-Open the new edited PP sequence in After Effects.
-Import the previous After Effect project into the new one
-Copy and paste Color Finesse effects from the first version onto the clips in the new version.

Am I doing something wrong? This is pretty time consuming for even small changes and I am wondering if others have better workflows for these situations.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: CS5.5 workflow PP to AE for Color Finesse and back again
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 6:45:46 pm

You won't like reading this. You're probably doing everything the right way. There's a reason why color grading is the final step in the process, and always follows picture lock: it's extremely difficult to make changes.

I suppose it depends on the definition of "small".

If it's changing a couple of shots, you might be able to simply color correct the altered shots.
If "small" to the supervisor means, "we want to change the wording on the lower-third text that appears throughout the program" -- and this lower-third was part of the color correction -- you're stuck using your current workflow.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John YoungRe: CS5.5 workflow PP to AE for Color Finesse and back again
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 8:26:39 pm

Aw shucks. Color correcting the new clips is not so much the problem. It becomes a real hassle when adding a new clip that changes the timing of the whole thing. Not an easy way to Ripple Delete in After Effects.
Thanks Dave.

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved