ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trouble with arguments and aeredner

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex UdellTrouble with arguments and aeredner
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 7:55:49 pm

Hey...

Looking to develop a workflow to automate formatting output for spot delivery via AE.
Part of this is using the command line "aerender" tool on the Mac.
I can get it to output a project located at a specified path....
but I can't seem to successfully pass arguments to:

1) override the default output module via "-OMtemplate"

2) redirect the output to a specified path via "-output"

it's not returning errors when I try it....it's just ignoring those additional arguments.

Here's my command line:

./aerender -project "/Volumes/PROJECT BACKUP ONLY/AE AUTOMATION/h264.aep" -OMtemplate "QTH264" -output "/Volumes/PROJECT BACKUP ONLY/AE AUTOMATION/renders"

what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

I am using an older CS3 version right now....so maybe

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Trouble with arguments and aeredner
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 8:59:16 pm

I hate to say it, but you may have chosen the wrong application for the job if the job is spot delivery.

Spot delivery implies delivery codecs -- most of which are highly compressed -- and AE just doesn't do a very good job with them. Oh, it's okay for highly-compressed files you send out for client approval, but for final delivery? I wouldn't count on getting the best image quality out of it.

AE's strong suit lies in rendering to intermediate or the appropriate editing codecs for further work in other applications. For example, my AE work always goes back to an NLE before it's done.

But you may have an alternative: Adobe Media Encoder... that is, if it came with AE 8.

I know it's possible to set up a Watch Folder in CS 5+, and as AE completes a file render to it AME automatically begins transcoding it to the delivery specs that you've previously set up. I don't have access to AE 8 Help to check.

Back in Days Of Yore when a really hot machine for AE ran Mac OS 8.6, AE version 3.1, screamed along on a single processor at 256 mHz and had a previously-unheard-of 512 MB of memory, overnight rendering was a necessity: it easily could take 10 seconds for a single frame of SD video.

For your kind of work, overnight rendering may be just the thing to get away for a pleasant evening and awake refreshed, secure in the knowledge that AE and AME have done all the heavy lifting, and you're ready for another day's work.

...that is, if you have AME, and you can set up a Watch folder.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Trouble with arguments and aeredner
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 9:32:11 pm

Hi Dave...

Thanks...

I'm aware of AME. I will probably end up working that into pipeline...

AE is great for formatting spots out based on scripting. Something we're doing now laboriously in our NLE's.

Most of what we deliver (99%) is h264 which in testing AE handles just fine.

But if it ends up that AE is just used to format and output an intermediary....I still want to build scripts (coming from a PHP interface) to create a launch the jobs.

So getting some those command line arguments to work will be helpful.

Alex

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Trouble with arguments and aeredner
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 4:00:42 pm

Try asking about this on the AE Expressions forum. They may be better-equipped to answer your query.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]