ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Marquee Text ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bea wallingMarquee Text ?
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 10:53:22 am

I am trying to make a few sentences marquee at the bottom of a video. I entered the text, offset it and keyframed it. It is animating as you would expect and all was going well until I made the font a bit bigger. Now the text that falls off the frame at the starting key frame gets completely cut off (mid letter even) as it animates !
The text is supposed to repeat in full, like an update on a news channel. But it just shows the text that fits into the original frame on repeat.
Any ideas how I can remedy this ?

If you can give me any pointers, I would be so grateful. thanks !

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Marquee Text ?
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 2:37:20 pm

Your text is being cut off, as you probably have figured out, because offset looks at what is seen on the screen at moves that. So your text that is outside of the screen can't be offset as it's not seen by the effect.

Probably the easiest solution would be to create your text in a precomp, offset it there and bring it into your final comp to work as a scroll. Click your text layer and "Cntl + shift + c" to create a precomp. Delete the original offset. Open your precomp and size the comp(cntl + K) to fit your text layer(if your text is 1200 pixels wide and 100 pixels high, make make your comp 1210 x 110). Now apply your offset effect and animate it.

Here's a quick example project to illustrate what I hoped I explained:

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

bea wallingRe: Marquee Text ?
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 6:29:58 pm

That's a good solution, thanks !!
I found another way to do too : simply put the text into illustrator and then use it from there. The AE text function has its limits I guess.

I am going to use your way ! Can't resist a precomp opportunity :-D

Hats off to you !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved