ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adding PS Texture to Video in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lindsay SimpsonAdding PS Texture to Video in AE
by on Apr 23, 2012 at 11:03:45 pm

Hi all,

I'm working on a commercial and have developed a nice look, feel working with my graphic designer. Rather than having to mask and animate this mask to reveal a select piece of a video clip and have texture surrounding, is there anyway to link the Photoshop texture layer including its non-textured opening to a video layer such that the colors of the video layer become textured?

I realize you can use the 'Texturize' effect to apply the texture to the video, but this requires more effort in terms of masking and tracking. That is certainly do-able and is the method I have started using. Of course I would prefer a work around that is less time consuming, so here I am posing this question. I have also attempted apply the texture to a transparent solid with no luck as the resulting look is far from what was developed in PS.

Please let me know if this requires more explanation etc. I am working with CS5 on a PC. And any resources that can be pointed to would also be helpful. Or tell me to quit looking for a solution and get started masking & tracking! :)

Thank you for any feedback,

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Adding PS Texture to Video in AE
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 1:18:59 am

I'm not following exactly what you want to do, but can you bring the psd file into AE as a composition(using the "Import as" pulldown), so you preserve your photoshop layers?

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Adding PS Texture to Video in AE
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 3:20:23 am

I'm also a bit lost but I think what you want is to use a blending mode on the texture layer so it "blends" with the video layer below it. Try the Multiply, Overlay, and Screen modes first. If that's not what you had in mind then post more details about what you're doing and we'll try to help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved