ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Warp Stabilizer takes a long time to analyze...?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vince-Patrick Mitchell
Warp Stabilizer takes a long time to analyze...?
on Apr 23, 2012 at 1:34:32 pm

Hello,

Maybe i'm doing something wrong, but AFX is taking 36 minutes to analyze a 1 min 30 sec clip for warp stabilizing. Is this normal? My footage is AVCHD 1920x1080 25p shot with a Canon HG21 camera.

Thanks in advance for helping me out,

VP Mitchell

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Warp Stabilizer takes a long time to analyze...?
on Apr 23, 2012 at 3:00:16 pm

It doesn't help one bit that the footage is AVCHD, which uses interframe compression. AE has to do a lot of work analyzing it. So that estimate sounds just about right. If that camera gives you the option of shooting AVC Intra, take it and just accept that the file sizes will be bigger.

You could also shorten the analysis by converting the clip to a lossless codec, or a close-to-lossless codec. Quicktime movies in the PNG codec come to mind right away. Got FCP 7? Your codec world expands to The ProRes family of codecs. You can also download the FREE DNxHD codec from Avid for either Mac or Win.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vince-Patrick Mitchell
on Apr 23, 2012 at 3:43:08 pm

Thanks for responding Dave,

I gather by your answer, that AVCHD is really not the best format for working with After Effects or Premiere Pro... For now thats the best that my tiny budget can dish out :(

No possibility for shooting AVC Intra...i tried looking on the AVID site for the codec you mentionned without success, can you forward me the link if you have it?

So youre suggesting that i encode all my footage for ease of work ?

thanks,

VP

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 23, 2012 at 4:12:47 pm

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Download/en423319

Look for the links a bit down the page.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 23, 2012 at 5:10:59 pm

[Vince-Patrick Mitchell] "So youre suggesting that i encode all my footage for ease of work ? "

That would depend on what you're doing. I would for anything that involves the following:

TIME: like timewarp, frame blending or echo -- any time effect
LOTS OF CALCULATION: like Warp stabilizer, lots of lights & shadows
RENDER-INTENSIVE EFFECTS: Color Stabilizer, Displacement Map, Noise & Grain effects

A few versions back, AVCHD and its interframe-compressed kin would send AE into a tail spin. Now it just slows it down. I bet it isn't the kind of progress everybody expects, but at least it's something; not much I'll grant you, but something.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]