ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

improvements in OpenGL features in After Effects CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Kopriva
improvements in OpenGL features in After Effects CS6
on Apr 22, 2012 at 5:55:23 pm

This one's for Dave LaRonde. ;-)

Here's a video that I made that runs through the new GPU (OpenGL and CUDA) features in After Effects CS6:
http://bit.ly/IgnhFW

In short, we threw the old OpenGL renderer away and instead are using OpenGL for what it's actually good for. And we're now using CUDA for acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer.

I am very happy about this change. Dave should be pleased, because I kept citing his reponses on this forum in my insistence that we needed to just throw the old OpenGL renderer away.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
Re: improvements in OpenGL features in After Effects CS6
on Apr 22, 2012 at 6:15:17 pm

He's not the only one that's pleased :)

OpenGL as it has been was not useful, and did not play well at all with linear colorspace workflows.

YAY it's gone. !

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 23, 2012 at 3:09:44 pm

I thank you, Mr. Kopriva.

I'll need to check that link out when I get home; the work computer isn't up to the task of reading modern video.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 23, 2012 at 6:27:23 pm

It occurs to me that older AE versions aren't going away in any big hurry.

Now when I warn people off Open GL rendering in pre-CS6, I can say, "It worked so badly that Adobe dropped it in the latest version of AE."

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew Somers
on Apr 24, 2012 at 12:12:12 am

I'm also looking forward to the ray tracing render engine - need any beta testers? I could use it okay a shot right now, LOL....

Btw when is the release date?

And a question: regarding the new cloud model for licenses - how does it work for systems that are not on the Internet? Most places I work have strict rules against work machines being on the Internet (LAN/fibre SAN access only.)

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Apr 24, 2012 at 12:17:36 am

> Btw when is the release date?

We haven't announced the release date yet. Pre-orders are available, though: http://adobe.ly/CCProd

> And a question: regarding the new cloud model for licenses - how does it work for systems that are not on the Internet? Most places I work have strict rules against work machines being on the Internet (LAN/fibre SAN access only.)

You do not need to have your computer connected to the Internet.

- If you subscribe using the Creative Cloud Membership option, the computer needs to connect to the Internet once per month to check its license.

- If you instead use the perpetual license option, not Creative Cloud Membership, then the computer never needs to be connected to the Internet; you just have to enter an activation code that you can get using any Internet-connected device (like your smartphone or another computer).

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]