ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Effect error at startup

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bronson Hoover
Effect error at startup
on Apr 21, 2012 at 1:30:54 am

I'm stuck in an endless loop. Everytime AE opens, I get an error message saying that AE is having a hard time initializing the effect Knoll Light Factory, and then it crashes.

Is there a way to disable effects at startup? Do I need to trash the effect that's in the effect folder and re-load the effect?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

++bronson

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
Re: Effect error at startup
on Apr 21, 2012 at 1:58:55 pm

Before trashing the effect, try reverting After Effects Preferences to their defaults by holding down the Control + Alt + Shift keys while launching the application. (Command + SHift + Option on the Mac).

Return to posts index

Bronson Hoover
Re: Effect error at startup
on Apr 22, 2012 at 9:35:39 pm

Thanks for your advice Brian. I decided to try something else before I took your advice. I hate having to reset all of my preferences, and I always try to make that my last ditch effort.

I moved my Knoll Light Factory folder (HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins/CS5.5) to my desktop. Then I restarted AE and deleted the layer that had the Knoll Light Factory effect that was causing the trouble. Then I saved the project, restarted AE, and had no problems. Then I closed AE, returned the LF folder to the original folder and restarted AE.

And I'm good as gold. I figured I share my solution in case anyone else has the same problem.

Thanks.

++bronson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]