ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Importing Premiere Pro Comp into AE for colour correction

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Reader
Importing Premiere Pro Comp into AE for colour correction
on Apr 18, 2012 at 7:32:45 pm

Hi Guys,

I've finished a cut of a film and I am now about to start the grade. I'm using Premiere Pro CS5.5 on a mac. I'd like to use the Color Finesse plugin in AE for the grade and I have been told the best way to grade the whole PP sequence in AE is to import the project into AE (Rather than using dynamic link, or rendering out and importing one file).

This is fine, but I am also planning on making a second, shorter cut. Therefore I am wondering what my workflow should be as originally I planned to grade the longer version, then cut out the shots for the 2nd shorter cut. My concern is that by using 'import premiere pro project' in AE, I'll have to cut the film for the second version in premiere pro and then colour the shots again even though I have already done so for the longer cut.

Is there away to avoid having to do this? Or If I save the PP project within the AE project, will it translate to PP?

Hope that makes sense. Any help appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Importing Premiere Pro Comp into AE for colour correction
on Apr 18, 2012 at 7:57:43 pm

Can you withstand the temptation to futz with the in or out points on the clips adjacent to those that will be deleted, or slide the adjacent clips just a little bit?

Be honest, now.

If in your heart of hearts you know that you can't, you'll have to do two grades on two Premiere projects. This is why color grading is typically the last step in the workflow: it's done after picture lock, which you don't really have yet.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Charlie Reader
on Apr 18, 2012 at 8:18:29 pm

I really really dont!

This makes me want to colour correct within PP instead of using Color Finesse!

Unless I can save the correction for each shot as a preset which I can then apply to the new cut afterwards? Still quite long winded but would save a huge amount of time. Do you know if this is possible?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 18, 2012 at 8:34:41 pm

You could do Primary color correction in Premiere, and secondary in AE. That would save a lot of time, even with two different cuts. Secondary is done on a scene-by-scene basis, and primary is done on a shot-by-shot basis.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Benjamin Ausmith
on Apr 18, 2012 at 9:04:06 pm

Isn't that backwards? I would think a primary grade would be more of an overall grade scene to scene, and then going in with secondary grades to fix/tweak things would make more sense on a shot-to-shot basis.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 18, 2012 at 9:08:41 pm

Nope, not backwards at all.

The purpose of primary is to get all the shots in a looking the same from shot to shot in a scene, to fix color balance issues, exposure issues, etc. You get it looking right.

Secondary is where you give it the overall look you want in a scene color-wise. You give it an emotional tone via color manipulation.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Charlie Reader
on Apr 18, 2012 at 9:13:43 pm

Thats a good idea.. I was under the impression that the latter definitions were correct though.

The problem with that though is I wont be able to utilize Color Finesse which is so much better than the standard cc tools in terms of the quality of alterations/how it deals with colour information.

I'm now thinking that I could just replace all the clips in PP with AE comps, copy the original cut into a new sequence, and the make the cuts on the replaced AE comps.

The only downside to this is that obviously these are now AE comps in PP so the rendering will be terrible and the whole edit will truly be locked in the future unless I replace with original and color correct again.

Any thoughts on this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 18, 2012 at 9:30:01 pm

My thought on the matter is this: you seek flexibility, but there really isn't any.

Now, you COULD do the primary on the long cut, then copy & paste the settings to the short cut. You could do the same for the secondary correction, and since there would be less to do, it would be easier.

But at some point you have to commit to Picture Lock, and you just have to accept that any changes past that point are going to involve additional work; it won't be automatic.

I have to say it again: that's why color grading's the last step in the process. Before it, you have some flexibility. After it, you have far, far less.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Charlie Reader
on Apr 18, 2012 at 9:44:46 pm

You're right - I have always been scared of commitment!

I think I'm just going to accept that its time to commit to Picture Lock, what's done is done. And then I can do the quickest/easiest thing to colour two cuts and replace all the shots with AE comps.

I think that's what I'm going to do!..

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 20, 2012 at 6:00:00 pm

A couple quick comments on this thread.

Primary color correction affects the entire image. Secondary color correction is constrained by qualifiers like hue, saturation, and lightness.

I'd consider Resolve instead of AE for color correction. If you are careful about reel and timecode, you should be able to do your first grade, then reconform the project using the second, shorter EDL and maintaining your previous work.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]