ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best Visual Effects schools in Southern California

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott O'Hara
Best Visual Effects schools in Southern California
on Apr 18, 2012 at 6:36:34 pm

Hey all,

Looking to get some education in this area. Trying to learn AE on my own as well as other programs but would like some formal training in it.

I've heard of Gnomon, the art institute of california, etc. But I'm not sure what's worth the money and what's not.

Any info/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Best Visual Effects schools in Southern California
on Apr 18, 2012 at 8:01:25 pm

It's hard to say. AE is the low man on the totem pole, so chances are it'll be a "fundamentals" program before stepping up to something like Maya, or a compositor like Nuke.

It also depends on if you want more of a trade school or a university education. Art Center has a fantastic Entertainment Design program (their 3D courses are really built on the strength that the school is the TOP car design school in the world).

If you want a super quick rundown course then UCLA offers a 12 week visual effects extension course.

It also depends on what you want to do in the future. do you want a 3d or illustration degree so you can step into a post house, or are you beefing up your skills to freelance on indie films and commercials?

Return to posts index

Scott O'Hara
on Apr 19, 2012 at 6:26:02 pm

Hey Angelo,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess the best way to describe it is that I want to be well versed in producing my own visual fx for films, commercials, etc. I'm not too knowledgeable on the difference between focusing on 3D vs more of things like Maya, AE, Nuke, etc. I guess what gives you more marketable skills to get a job?

I guess watching Andrew Kramer from Video Copilot work on fx and his ability to create great fx using all kinds of programs is where I want to be. So really I'm looking for the best trade school, or degree program that would offer me that.

I just don't want to enroll in a school that's not worth the money, and not going to teach me the skills necessary to be successful after I'm done. Obviously using the programs and experimenting with your own projects is great, but I really want to branch out and get some professional guidance.

So besides UCLA or USC, what other schools could offer me this?

Thanks again for the help
Scott

Return to posts index

Devin Uzan
on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:41:40 pm

I would take a look at Gnomon and Santa Monica College too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]