ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Write-On Gradually Thickening Stroke

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff GandillonWrite-On Gradually Thickening Stroke
by on Apr 18, 2012 at 3:20:48 pm

I just wanted to get some input on this effect I am attempting that is based on ideas from this tutorial.

I am using the stroke to reveal a layer rather than actually write, but the problem I ran into is that the script font that I am revealing has drastically different thicknesses in different spots. To work around this I duplicated the layer and had it do a thin quick stroke (keyframing the End parameter) then I wiped the layer on over itself with a gradually thickening stroke (keyframing the brush size parameter).

Write on effect attempt

I am pretty satisfied with this result, but it gets a little funky from the middle on when it is wiping on a stroke that has grown pretty thick already. Ideally I'd like the stroke to grow along the path after it is written so it almost looks like writing from a fountain pen gradually spreading as it soaks into the page. In other words as the path is stroked from the beginning it is initially thin, but grows at each individual point with respect to when that part of the stroke initially appeared. As opposed to the whole stroke growing at once, which is what I can accomplish now.

Does anyone know of a way that might be accomplished? Might it require an expression?

Also, I'd love to hear any other input as to how I might improve this effect!

jeff g

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Write-On Gradually Thickening Stroke
by on Apr 18, 2012 at 3:45:05 pm

Have you tried using the Generate -> Write-on effect. You can change the Brush Time Properties to have a key framable thickening and thinning stoke.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jeff GandillonRe: Write-On Gradually Thickening Stroke
by on Apr 18, 2012 at 4:24:02 pm

It is good to know that is available as that would allow me to set the stroke width appropriately at each point along the path and make a traditional reveal image write on work correctly, but now that I have this idea in my head of a stroke that thickens at a given position over time I'd still like to hear if it is possible.

So essentially it would be like using the brush time properties to set the width of the stroke at each point along the path, but then taking it one step further so that each point along the path grows gradually after it is written until it reaches the desired thickness. To do it by keyframes it would require keyframes that are space and time specific not just time specific. That is why I am thinking, if this is even possible, it might require an expression. Maybe I need to go post over on that forum.

Thank you for the suggestion! That is very good info to have. I'd love to hear some more ideas!

jeff g

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved