ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Create human shapes with particular, and then animate them.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris WoodCreate human shapes with particular, and then animate them.
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 4:39:42 pm

Ok so I have a fun little project as part of my VFX scenes for my Skyrim short film.

I need to re-create a particular dragon-shout from the game, Aura Whisper.

This is a kind of magic that enables you to see living beings through walls etc.

And it's represented by a shimmering, red cloud-like particle glow around the characters basic skeleton.

If you look here:

You can see what I mean.

Now, this is what I want to do.

Film some footage of some densely-packed trees.

Make it appear darker in AE

When the Aura Whisper is performed by my actor, the scene lights up a bit, and you can see the red mist moving across the trees, sneaking around.

I'm wondering how I can get particular to form a human shape, and then animate it so that it looks like a human form, obscured by normal view, is then sneaking through the trees.

Any help on this would be great.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Create human shapes with particular, and then animate them.
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 5:03:16 pm

Trapcode Form will provide a better solution. Checkout this relevant COW Tutorial from Eran Stern.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Chris WoodRe: Create human shapes with particular, and then animate them.
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 6:19:05 pm

Do you think the best option would be to get greenscreen footage of a person sneaking around, then use the trapcode form effect, then move that into the comp of the trees, aye?

Seems good to me!

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Create human shapes with particular, and then animate them.
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 8:16:34 pm

It all depends on how tight a matte you require to be around the talent and this depends on the effect you have in mind. If you need a very accurate matte of the actor and don't want to roto then a chroma backdrop will have to do but things brings in complications related to the distance your actor has to move during each shot.

If a loose matte is fine then shoot on the actual set/scene/backdrop and use mochaAE/Pro to track, to help you get a quick matte from which to feed into Trapcode Form.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Apr 17, 2012 at 9:16:06 pm

Na it's fine, we have a video studio at Uni with a large green screen. Should be alright!

What I'm worried about now is the cloud density. I suppose I could just duplicate it and mask out the arms, except when they cross over the body (to give the impression of 3D depth)

Return to posts index

by on Apr 18, 2012 at 12:09:03 pm

Start messing about with Trapcode Form to get a feel for what you need to feed into it and how you can control the properties that are integral to making the shot work for you.

Good Luck!
RoRK

Return to posts index

katherine taylorRe: Create human shapes with particular, and then animate them.
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 12:01:14 am

Simulating a "z-depth" pass , with gradients and masks, could also help create some depth for Form to use.

Return to posts index

Siddharth Gautam SinghRe: Create human shapes with particular, and then animate them.
by on Apr 21, 2012 at 12:13:03 pm

You can do this in Particular as well, using your matted footage as a layer emitter. You can emit particles from this layer and add wind and turbulence effects. Could get close to the kind of effect you are looking at.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 25, 2012 at 5:14:19 pm

Could you give some hints on how to make the particles form the human shape I have masked out? Not having much luck myself.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]