ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Setting up document size question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack StewartSetting up document size question
by on Apr 16, 2012 at 1:12:37 pm

I have a photoshop document at 1440 x 1080 pixels. I have imported it into Aftereffects and the pre-comp appears condensed. I then try creating a new composition and with square pixels at 1440 x 1080 and the composition also looks narrow. Whats happening here? I was expecting the two documents to be the same size but instead its smaller. When I stretched it out to 1920 it looked about the same width as the photoshop document was appearing on the screen. I'm so confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Photoshop screenshot:

AfterEffects screenshot:

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Setting up document size question
by on Apr 16, 2012 at 2:20:30 pm

1440 x 1080 is a squeezed size. When you bring your square pixels PSD into AE, it's going to get squeezed in a 1440 x 1080 comp.

At some point it will be unsqueezed to a 1920 x 1080 and it will look normal, but I think that will stretch it a little.

I would recreate your PSD document at 1920 x 1080. If you are working with 1440 x 1080 1.33 footage you can drop that into a 1920 x 1080 comp and stretch it or put your PSD in the 1440 comp and scale it down.

When you go for your final render you can make it 1920 then and everything will look normal.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jack StewartRe: Setting up document size question
by on Apr 16, 2012 at 3:58:03 pm

Thanks for your helpful answer. I am still struggling to figure this out. I just tried to create a new doc at 1920 and I also cropped a screen shot of the file that I want to work with from the web. Both show up as 1920 x 1080 but the lower one appears to be wider. I have attached an image that shows this below. I over laid to screen shots on top of each other so that I could show the image size for each document. Can anyone tell me whats going on here?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved