ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effect CS 6 on Imac?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc De Coster
After Effect CS 6 on Imac?
on Apr 16, 2012 at 11:51:24 am

Hi guys,
I just saw the new features of AE CS6 and, lucky me, I was the ass sat on my chair so I didn't fell down. We finally have 3D text, XML import and, last but not least, camera tracker

But ... I bought an Imac last year and I wonder if the 3D raytracer from AE will be supported by my graphic card. Does anyone knows if it'll work with the standard Imac card? And, if not, if I can change the graphic card on an Imac ???

Thanx

Marc

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
Re: After Effect CS 6 on Imac?
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:42:52 pm

The graphics card on an iMac is part of the logic board and can't be replaced. The only things you can upgrade on those babies is RAM and hard drive.

I haven't been able to find the Adobe list of approved graphics card for 3D raytracing in AE6 yet (the link to that page on their site appears to be broken), but I'd think that on a machine less than a year old you should be okay. iMacs aren't graphics powerhouses, but they usually get the job done.

Return to posts index

Marc De Coster
on Apr 17, 2012 at 7:33:44 am

Thanx for the answer. I cross my fingers (It's a french expression, I don't know if you use it in english. I means "I reaaaaally hope it'll do it!")
Let's way and see then

Marc

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Apr 17, 2012 at 5:17:25 pm

I'll be crossing my fingers (we do that in English, too) for my iMac as well. Here's hoping!

Return to posts index

Jon Bagge
on Apr 17, 2012 at 7:23:54 pm

I'm sure AE CS6 will work on an iMac, but I think accelerated GPU rendering for ray-tracing will require a NVIDIA card, and the iMac's all use AMD.

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Marc De Coster
on Apr 18, 2012 at 7:23:24 am

shit! So it means no 3D ray-tacing on my machine ???

Return to posts index

Jon Bagge
on Apr 18, 2012 at 11:39:30 pm

If your graphics card isn't supported you can still render on the CPU. The more cores the better. It will just be much slower.

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Apr 21, 2012 at 5:23:26 am

Jon is correct.

The ray-traced 3D renderer can work on the CPU, but it's very, very slow on the CPU. The GPU acceleration requires one of a specific set of cards, all of which are made by Nvidia. This is because we used the Nvidia OptiX library for the renderer.

I'll post a list of supported cards soon on my blog, and of course there will be a list on the system requirements page when we release the software.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

cliff elgin
on May 8, 2012 at 9:52:16 pm

OMG! I have a year old Imac, its taking minutes and minutes to render simple text.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 9, 2012 at 12:59:57 am

> OMG! I have a year old Imac, its taking minutes and minutes to render simple text.

Trying to use the ray-traced 3D renderer in Final Quality mode takes a very, very long time on the CPU. You really need to use one of the specified GPUs to make that work fast enough to be usable.

See the list of GPUs at the bottom of the system requirements page for what GPUs give this functionality:
http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/tech-specs.html

See this video for details of the GPU features and how you can work in other draft modes without the GPU-accelerated ray-traced 3D renderer:
http://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/system-requirements-for-gpu-accelerat...

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]