ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE Multiple Crashes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alley GogeriAE Multiple Crashes
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 3:05:57 pm

I'm trying to troubleshoot my AE and I'm pretty sure it needs to be re-installed on my computer because I've had ongoing problems. However, I'm just trying to understand the errors a little bit better for the sake of being able to troubleshoot on my own.

I'm using a Max OS X version 10.6.8 8 GB and After Effects CS5

I've had this error occur repeatedly right after AE crashes:
After Effects has encountered an error.

I don't know what this means. It usually happens when I'm using dynamic link from Premiere projects. I don't know what a child clip is.

Also, I've had Open GL errors and I've had to go back and turn Open GL off. When I turn it on, it repeatedly crashes my computer. My computer has less memory than my co-workers but other than that they're identical and yet he doesn't get the Open GL error in the same project.

Any idea what either of these errors mean? I think there's some more research I can do on the Open GL crashes but I have no idea what the MediaCore/Backend/ChildClip one is about.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE Multiple Crashes
by on Apr 12, 2012 at 5:47:03 pm

Before you take the drastic step of reinstallation, you should understand that Open GL has never, ever worked properly in AE. It may in the future, but not at this moment.

Turn off Open GL acceleration for rendering (in preferences) and leave it off until Adobe shouts from the rooftops that it's completely fixed. It's okay for previewing, but it's death to rendering.

So why is your co-worker not affected? AE may unwittingly be set up for Open GL Previews only on that machine. He/ she may not use the effects & processes that render Open GL useless. It could be dumb luck. There's no way to tell.

And with 8 gigs of memory, using multiprocessing isn't in your best interest, either. My dual quad-core Mac Pro has 8 gigs and I don't use it.

Take these two basic steps for the moment, give AE a whirl for a while, and write back if your woes persist.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved