ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Change strength of Stabilize Motion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris WoodChange strength of Stabilize Motion
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 1:17:33 pm

So I have some pretty shaky footage I want to stabilize, but it does such a good job that the footage may as well have been on a tripod.

Is there a way to decrease the factor of stabilization, to say, 50%? This would also mean I wouldn't have to scale my video up so much.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Change strength of Stabilize Motion
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 4:27:26 pm

What kind of stabilization are you doing? The Warp Stabilizer in CS5.5 allows you to specify how "smooth" you'd like the stabilization to be.

If you're doing old school point tracking then after you've stabilized the clip you can use the smooth() expression on the layer's anchor point to reduce the stabilization:

smooth(.2, 5);

The first value (.2) is the width in seconds of the smoothing. The second value (5) is the number of samples across this (.2) duration. You should always use an odd number for the second value so that there is a sample on the current frame (5 is usually good enough).

The way this works in this case is a little counter intuitive. Higher width values for the smooth will actually result in less smooth stabilization. Smaller width values will result in the stabilization being closer to its original (locked tripod) look. The value you'll want to use will depend a lot on how shaky your original footage was and how much of that shake you want to maintain, use higher width values to maintain more of the original shake, and lower to reduce the shake. I find .2 to be a good starting point.

If you like you can specify this width value in frames instead of seconds by adding a framesToTime() function call:

smooth(framesToTime(6), 5);

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Chris WoodRe: Change strength of Stabilize Motion
by on Apr 14, 2012 at 5:05:46 pm

This seems like it should work perfectly, thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]