ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Rendering

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ally NicollAfter Effects Rendering
by on Apr 9, 2012 at 1:06:37 am

Hello all,

I have checked the FAQ/Stickies but don't see such a stupid question as I'm about to ask... are you ready for this? Hang onto your keyframes...

I'm making a 5 minute short movie. Shooting at 1080p and 60fps - which allows me to do a lot of slow motion without the jaggies/jitteries. I have about 12 scenes (with live actors) which I'll use some element of After Effects in, not including my intro and outro graphics. Now, my question...

Is it "normal" for a videomaker to piece the whole film, all 12 sections in my case, together, with audio, into one Project, and do a massive gazillion hour render on the whole thing - intro, footage with effects and outro?

or..

Is it "normal" for a videomaker to edit the scenes which require After Effects enhancement, render them out, then piece them together/slot the footage together in another program?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts - I'm no where near this stage yet, but I like to have SOME idea of what I'm doing in the future!

Much appreciated,

Ally

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After Effects Rendering
by on Apr 9, 2012 at 12:56:01 pm

I've seen people do both.

Finishing the project in After Effects is possible, but I don't usually recommend it. A simple change in editorial timing would require a lengthy re-render.

I prefer the second workflow you listed -- sending shots or short sequences to After Effects, doing your work in AE, then sending the results back to your NLE and completing editorial there.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Ally NicollRe: After Effects Rendering
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 1:19:13 am

Perfect, I appreciate your comments. That's a weight off my mind - knowing that there's no hard and fast rule on which method, but I can see the advantages of not having to render the entire movie!

Can I ask, as a follow up question, which program you would recommend to compile my 12 shots together once I've rendered them and output them from After Effects?

Much appreciated,

Ally

Return to posts index

by on Apr 10, 2012 at 2:03:03 pm

[Ally Nicoll] "Can I ask, as a follow up question, which program you would recommend to compile my 12 shots together once I've rendered them and output them from After Effects?"

Premiere Pro is Adobe's non-linear editor, so that's a good place to start. If you have Production Premium or Master Collection, you already have Premiere Pro. Other options include FCP/FCPX or Avid.

If you're literally just stringing out 12 shots, you can keep it all in AE without sacrificing a lot of performance by pre-rendering [link], but an NLE would be much better for trimming.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Ally NicollRe: After Effects Rendering
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 2:25:38 pm

Thank you Walter, that has helped me immensely!

Return to posts index

by on Apr 10, 2012 at 2:42:11 pm

You're welcome!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeff BrownRe: After Effects Rendering
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 3:11:30 pm

One "extension" of that workflow is to first do a rough cut in your editing app to identify which scenes & shots you actually want to use. Then over to AE for the FX/graphics, etc., then back to the editing program to put it all together.
In doing it this way, one usually adds one to five seconds of heads & tails on each "edited" clip on the AE side, so you have room to slip things around in the final edit.
Also, if doing things like lower-thirds or other types of overlay graphics, it is common to do that in AE without video & render with an alpha channel. Then add the lower third as a separate layer in the final edit. This allows for more flexibility (and less re-rendering) in the editing process.

And, it is also common for this to be more "iterative" than you expect: i.e., you may go through the back and forth process a few times as you refine the edit.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]