ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to create this pixelation look

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chandra hopeHow to create this pixelation look
by on Apr 8, 2012 at 1:18:15 am

Hi there,

So I was wondering if there is quick trick I am unaware of to create this beautiful pixelation look.

I know to use a mosaic plugin (I have BCC moasic and all the standards) But I can't figure out how to do the transitions, wipes and random movements seen in these two videos. I know it has to be easy and I must just not be thinking clearly lol. I figured I would just do some creative masking, but I feel like there might be something simpler I am missing. I love the jumpy quick feel of this.

Any suggestions?? I did some searches on line and here for "pixelation look" and other things, nothing has come up so far.

thanks for any great advice!!!

Video inspiration:

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: How to create this pixelation look
by on Apr 8, 2012 at 1:34:18 am

Looks like it's a precomposed video file that is being pixelated. The second example really points to the fact that there is the face of the person playing under the pixelation. The first one may be the same thing but fed a random texture that is being altered by the wiggle command (AE has some generators like gradient, noise, etc you can use for this).

It also looks like they're wiggling the opacity of the pixelation as a whole which gives it some "movement".

It's a combination of a lot of little things.

Return to posts index

chandra hopeRe: How to create this pixelation look
by on Apr 8, 2012 at 1:38:42 am

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it!

Ya, I have been playing with moving video and Moasic and cell pattern. Still can't get those cool quick transitions though. Like the very first few frames.

I think by getting some animated video and doing some masking and animation in one comp, then bringing into a second comp and adding the mosaic onto that will give a cool look. lots of possibilities, just wondering if anyone has done this and had some brilliant advice :)

I will keep playing! All advice is welcome!!! :)

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: How to create this pixelation look
by on Apr 8, 2012 at 3:55:49 pm

I think you're on the right track and I believe the transitions may just be a modified animation preset. Go to Animation>Browse Presets and when Bridge opens go to "Transistions - Dissolves and look at the "Block Dissolve - Random" preset. Double-click it to add it to the selected layer in AE. It has some options for block size and you can adjust the keyframes to get the speed you want.

Return to posts index

Post removed.

chandra hopeRe: How to create this pixelation look
by on Apr 9, 2012 at 12:59:24 am

haha,Thanks! I knew it was something ridiculously easy! :) Ive got it all worked out now! Yay :) Thanks for the help!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved