ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Horizontal Scan Line Glitch Rendering issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrean MangiardiHorizontal Scan Line Glitch Rendering issue
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 10:29:21 pm

I've been noticing stubborn glitches that is just one dotted horizontal line through my video whenever I imported a Pro Res file into AE.

I also noticed a garbage of horizontal glitch in FCP as well. All these videos are in Pro Res. It also affected the other codec as well so no matter what I do, it keeps popping up!

What is happening here?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Horizontal Scan Line Glitch Rendering issue
by on Apr 6, 2012 at 3:55:43 pm

[Adrean Mangiardi] "It also affected the other codec as well so no matter what I do, it keeps popping up!"

I'm not really sure what you mean by that.

You see it both in FCP and AE, probably in FCP first. Perhaps in a media viewer as well.

If you do, it means one of two things: bad original footage or a bad transcode. I doubt it's an AE problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adrean MangiardiRe: Horizontal Scan Line Glitch Rendering issue
by on Apr 6, 2012 at 4:11:55 pm

What I meant was, I've been doing the same work flow for all the projects that I've done such as

Converting all the raw h.264 to Pro Res HQ

So, I've been exporting all the edited videos to Pro Res HQ as always.

Then something went wrong through my last project which I noticed the glitches. You're right about FCP being a problem first because today I exported my older project to Pro RES HQ and noticed a garbage of glitch. It wasn't like that before so I have no idea what is going on here because it was working perfectly before.

However, I must mentioned this, we modified this IMAC by increasing the memory up to 16 GB MHz DDR3 and hooking up this new 8 TB RAID drive as a working drive. I used my last project with this new set up and the glitches began. But my tech guy said this shouldn't be the problem, so I'm stumped.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 6, 2012 at 5:03:11 pm

It appears that there are multiple Macs in your shop. Play one of the problem clips in the Quicktime player -- not FCP -- on your machine to confirm that it's bad. If it is, play it in the QT player on a different machine, and if you see it, you have a bad transcode.

H.264 to ProRes HQ usually indicates the footage was shot on a DSLR. You may have done the Log & Transfer using improper techniques. Here's the right way to do it:
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

I recommend a test Log & Transfer of a few of the problem shots. If the problem persists, have the IT guy double-check the new hardware to confirm it's working correctly. If it is, you may need a Clean Install of your software. Ugh. That's no fun, but it might be necessary.

And since we're talking DSLR's here, there is absolutely NO NEED to transcode to ProRes HQ. 4K RED cameras benefit from ProRes HQ, not DSLR's. You gain precisely zero additional image quality. You DO gain additional file size, and if that's what you want, please continue. However, good ol' ProRes 422 is just fine: you'd need to re-render the same shot 6 times over before any kind of image degradation would appear... and I can think of no workflow where you'd do that.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Apr 6, 2012 at 6:09:44 pm

I checked the quicktime file using the different machine and it also shows the glitch as well.

It doesn't makes any sense because it was clean before with the same workflow. I'm talking everything before any computer modification.

Right now, I'm rendering the other project using AE CS 5.5 and played around with different codec such as animation and pro res HQ.

I noticed that the glitches got worse when I rendered it into a different drive comparing to the working drive.

My next step is to reinstall after effect so we'll see what happen. I'll take in your workflow suggestion for the next project.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 10, 2012 at 7:58:00 pm

It turned out that the Glitch was created by the memory ram.

Before the glitch happened, the computer was running off of an 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 and we beefed it up to 16 GB.

Looks like the 16 GB was flawed.

No MORE GLITCH!!!! YES, VICTORIOUS!

Return to posts index

by on Apr 10, 2012 at 8:16:41 pm

Thanks for writing back with the solution! Very few people do that.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Richard chinRe: Horizontal Scan Line Glitch Rendering issue
by on Mar 7, 2014 at 1:54:22 am

I had that same problem (even worst) when i render from AE CS6. It showed the worst as rendered AVI files, so i started rendering as QT and this helped a bit. In the end it was not a ram problem or codec problem. I started rendering to another drive and the problem went instantly thank God. So I don't if it was a dive permission thing or what but that was my solution and it worked. So try switching render output to another drive.

This post might help someone else in the future with this problem

Peace

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]