ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Importing Footage to Use as a Mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily Skaer
Importing Footage to Use as a Mask
on Apr 5, 2012 at 5:57:52 pm

I took some footage of black paint being applied over velum on top of a pane of glass. I had a camera set up under the glass and am hoping to use this footage as a mask in AE. My question is, the footage is uncompressed & HUGE. I need to compress it, but what's the best settings so that I don't end up losing any detail? It's currently about 6G & I need to get it down to at least 1G. About 10min long, 1080i footage. Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Importing Footage to Use as a Mask
on Apr 5, 2012 at 7:06:55 pm

[Emily Skaer] "It's currently about 6G & I need to get it down to at least 1G."

Am I correct in assuming that you're willing to accept a bit of image degradation to keep the file within your storage limits?

If your response lies somewhere between "not really" and "certainly not", I recommend investigating the DNxHD codec from Avid to transcode your footage.. It comes in both Mac and Windows versions, and I'm told that it incorporates surprisingly good image quality with surprisingly small file size.

But not as small as you want: getting 10 minutes of 1080 video down to a gig means you're compressing the snot out of your footage. Even transcoding to HDV -- just a horrible, God-awful codec for intermediate use -- would make the file about 2 gigs.

At the same time as you investigate the DNxHD codec, you may also want to investigate the low price of storage as of late.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Emily Skaer
on Apr 5, 2012 at 8:19:16 pm

Thanks Dave! Perhaps I can make it a bit bigger than 1G overall, maybe 3 at absolute max. But there's a lot of footage that can be cut from it, it is raw footage that hasn't been edited yet. Perhaps i should edit before compressing.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2012 at 8:32:38 pm

[Emily Skaer] "Perhaps i should edit before compressing."

Just "perhaps"? Of course you should!

I assumed this footage was at the proper duration already. That's what I get for assuming.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Emily Skaer
on Apr 5, 2012 at 9:05:13 pm

It's on an external right now that I have to return quickly & I'm working on a computer with little room & nothing that can be deleted, so having more than one big file (original & edited one) would be hard to save, hence the initial goal of compressing to begin with. Buying another external soon though, once I can save some $$$! Thanks again for your help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 5, 2012 at 9:35:05 pm

For your immediate needs, you should know that a 500-gig external is something like 50 bucks at Best Buy. Right now I'm carrying a 16-gig thumb drive in my pocket, and I think you pick one up for about 35 bucks.

There are options.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

John Shimvay
on Apr 5, 2012 at 11:41:35 pm

Dave LaRonde:
ENOUGH! Stop clogging up every single support thread I go to with your personality and lack of real information. Just stop logging in, and stop posting. People have deadlines, and we don't need someone without the social intelligence to know when they're being unhelpful to continually spam us.

Return to posts index

Emily Skaer
on Apr 6, 2012 at 12:05:02 am

I'm not sure what you mean...this is only about my second post & had real questions about encoding.

Return to posts index

Emily Skaer
on Apr 6, 2012 at 4:59:51 am

Oops...thought this was targeted at me.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 6, 2012 at 3:28:04 pm

[John Shimvay] "People have deadlines, and we don't need someone without the social intelligence to know when they're being unhelpful to continually spam us."

Since that was your first-ever post, you must have extremely tight deadlines.

Go take a nice, long walk and cool off.
Play with the dog.
Take a deep breath through the nose, then slowly exhale through pursed lips.

There, now isn't that better?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

John Shimvay
on Apr 6, 2012 at 6:52:39 pm

No. Have the sense to know when you don't have a specific answer for people rather than persuading less experienced users to do rundowns of things THEY might be doing wrong, which almost never turn out to be the answer. I've seen dozens of your threads when I needed an answer and never once have they actually been informative. You've a buffoon. Stop it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 6, 2012 at 10:02:57 pm

[John Shimvay] "You've a buffoon."

Oh, how will I abide the humiliation?

Perhaps a quick google of the name you use may provide an answer. It reveals.... nothing! Doing the same for even one of the neighbor kids reveals something! How can that be?

Could it be that you've done absolutely nothing in your life, in which case your wrath means nothing and I can sleep well at night?

Or does it mean it's a made-up name, which not only is frowned upon in the COW forums, but also indicates that that you enjoy hiding behind an alias and I can again sleep well at night?

I will change nothing. Deal with it, pal.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Erica Hornung
on Apr 9, 2012 at 8:33:26 pm

Honestly, is there any reason to hijack this poor girl's question with such rudeness?

Return to posts index

John Shimvay
on Apr 10, 2012 at 4:17:24 pm

Oh well you got me, keep up the fantastic volunteer work. You've got a real gift. Make sure you share it with as many people as you can. If you can help just one person, it will all have been worth it. You might just reach that goal someday.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]