ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

swap text on layers quickly?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Engelkemierswap text on layers quickly?
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 3:58:03 pm

I'm guessing there isn't an easier way, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I've got several title animations on at once and we decided the order is wrong. We need item 3 to be item 5, so there is some swapping that needs to be done.

They all animate in a bit of a wave though, so I Only want to swap text. I'm not actually sure how to swap a text layer in the timeline anyway because text doesn't have footage. That would be nice to know as well I suppose.

Anyway, is there a way to just change the content of the text? Obviously I will cut and paste, cut and paste a few times. I'm just wondering if there's some fancy way of alt dragging the source content of another source content would swap them or something. Well, I tried some key combos just in case and that's not it. It might be a nice feature though if it's not. ;)

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: swap text on layers quickly?
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 5:30:27 pm

I believe there's a script that will replace text on but I can't remember what it's called. Try just searching "text" on their site.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: swap text on layers quickly?
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 7:10:04 pm

Make a sacrificial text layer, whose only purpose in life is to contain text pasted into it.

If you do your copying & pasting in the proper sequence, you won't lose a thing. And when done, you can simply delete the sacrificial layer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: swap text on layers quickly?
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 7:49:48 pm

texts don't have a can't alt drop them from your project...

If you have some odd swapping to do... copying and pasting will be the away to go. there is no simpler way. Though if you got to swap something like text layer 3 onto 5, 5 onto 7... and so on. You can get by with expressions...

Pasting something like "thisComp.layer(thisLayer.index-2).text.sourceText" would swap the source text (AND NOTHING BUT THAT (no colors, sizes or anything)) of every text layer by the one 2 positions above it on your timeline.

Return to posts index

Andy EngelkemierRe: swap text on layers quickly?
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 8:04:42 pm

I'll add that request to the feature request. It would be nice to be able to do two things:

I'd call text as a value for this. As you said, it's not got a source.

I'd like to be able to drag one layer value to another and either copy and replace the value (or values if you have multiple layers selected maybe) to make them the same, or hold a different key and have the values swap. Swapping would really only work for two objects of course.

I wasn't sure if that existed. I couldn't find it, and you guys usually collectively have an answer if one exists.

I'll just copy the information I need to a 3rd party (an outside text editor in my case) then copy them back to their new positions.

Thanks for the help all.

Return to posts index

David CabestanyRe: swap text on layers quickly?
by on Apr 6, 2012 at 5:06:51 am

you can add an expression to the source text of each layer, (if it's precomped) or of it's not, then all you need to do is retype the text either on the project panel or the timeline panel, but all previous animation will stay with the layer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved