ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Gradual Scaling?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael CumminsGradual Scaling?
by on Apr 4, 2012 at 6:06:55 pm

Hey guys,

We've got some 4:3 SD footage we're needing to uprez for an HD production. We're needing to do a trick that a machine some of the bigger post houses back in the day used to have but is no longer available. This machine would take the SD footage and scale it to fit the HD frame vertically (486 - 1080). Then it would lock in the middle 70% or 80% of the SD footage, and gradually stretch out the remaining 30% or 20% (15 or 10% on each side) to fit the rest of the horizontal frame.

I thought maybe I could do this with a gradient displacement map, but it's not doing the gradual scaling I need.

And by gradual, I mean that the first vertical row of pixels touching the 80% middle is left alone. The next row is stretched out just a little bit (sub-sampled, I'm assuming), and the next row stretches just a little bit more.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Gradual Scaling?
by on Apr 4, 2012 at 6:45:17 pm

Ah, hardware is a fine thing to have in a case like this. Without it, the job gets tougher and less precise in AE.

The Mesh Warp effect lets you stretch out the sections of edges, but this trick won't have anything like the precision you're used to having.

Once you have the odious chore completed, at least you can take solace in this: by duplicating the scaled Mesh Warped layer, you can use the Replace Footage command to do the other clips.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mato KokoticRe: Gradual Scaling?
by on Apr 7, 2012 at 3:15:05 pm

Try that, just replace video with yours.
You were right, displacement is a thing to do. However two instances needed for left and right side (one displaces with red, another with green channel).
Some small upscaling on horizontal were still needed, but you can play with displacement amount and reduce that too.

Make me know if it helps you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved