ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Motion tracking overhead shots

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen TownsendMotion tracking overhead shots
by on Apr 4, 2012 at 8:27:15 am

I've been working on a short film that is mostly shot from overhead using a jimmy jib. I want to insert some text that has been tracked to the shots so it either sits on the top of a desk or the floor for example.

I've tried several routes such as using the inbuilt tracking in After Effects as well as The Foundary's Tracker.

I want the text to remain on the screen the whole time i.e. comes on with the shot and goes off with the shots. The problem with the AE tracker is the point(s) I'm tracking either come on too late or go off to soon so that the track isn't long enough for the text to be tracked throughout the entire scene.

With the Foundary tracker I'm finding it's struggling to calculate the 3D scene which, I'm guessing, is to do with it being an overhead shot and the result is an inaccurate track and the text floats or rotates off in the wrong direction in parts of the clip.

Does anyone have any advice or recommend a different tracker that might cope better? I've never used Mocha or Boujou so wondered if these might work better?

Return to posts index

kevin scromedaRe: Motion tracking overhead shots
by on Apr 5, 2012 at 1:59:06 am

I am having the same problems with an overhead shot that was filmed with a remote-controlled helicopter/camera rig. The shot is of a woman running across a bridge, and the camera is over top of the bridge and it tilts to follow her as she's running. I have some text that I am trying to track and I want it to be "stuck" the the boards of the bridge, laying flat.

I have managed to get a decent track using Boujou, but the text still floats, bobs, and looks like it's not part of the general scene.

Can anyone help in with these types of scenarios? I have a few other helli shots that are giving me the same grief.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved