ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

'60ies "imaginary" sequence.. Brainstorming!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele Poggi'60ies "imaginary" sequence.. Brainstorming!
by on Apr 1, 2012 at 10:52:21 am

Hey guys. ;] I'm going to work on the vfx of a micro short film of about 6 minutes. The first sequence is in the sixties and in BW. It's meant to be a "fantasy" of the protagonist, so it must be.. "Wonderful", and the director (we're both students) asked me for any idea about how vfx can improve or even create this status of "perfection".

My first thought is to add some particles to create some dust, maybe glowing or simply beautiful to see but.. Heh! It's in BW so I have some serious limitations, do youhave any idea about what could I do about this? ;]

"Freelance Post-Producer"

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Mail: snm.poggi@gmail.com
Mobile: +39 3349129191

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: '60ies "imaginary" sequence.. Brainstorming!
by on Apr 1, 2012 at 8:10:28 pm

*Puts on my producer hat*

So I assume the choice of black and white is to immediately identify this part of the film as not happening in modern time.

Is this sequence a true flashback, or something more stylized in the sense that it's fond memories or someones dream? -- Then again, I don't think that would make any difference in what I'm about to suggest to you.

If this is going to be the fantasy of the protagonist then I assume that we start in a state of perfection, and then slam into reality's state of imperfection, while the film is the catharsis; the work towards perfection again.

I would suggest shooting the 60's sequence in color and colorgrading it to Kodachrome. Once we slam back to reality we're using a cooler pallet both with color correction and set dressing/wardrobe. Then as hints of the journey come in, we can add warm colors; maybe the apartment of the protagonist's love interest uses warm colors or has a red sofa. As we reach the ending, we can warm up the color grade.

Without knowing the story, I have a feeling a color strategy like that will make the film more cohesive.

Return to posts index

Michele PoggiRe: '60ies "imaginary" sequence.. Brainstorming!
by on Apr 2, 2012 at 5:33:17 am

You got it. It's the imagination if the protagonist that makes this beginning so perfect, but it's their present time: just OUR past. The next scene implies that a public is watching a movie, and they are in color. Then the final scene shows the protagonist again in the same place, always in BW but in disgrace. The problem is that I can't change or touch the BW idea of the director. ;]

"Freelance Post-Producer"

Editor Video
Graphic Designer
Digital Compositor

Mail: snm.poggi@gmail.com
Mobile: +39 3349129191

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]