ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

how to move light along with camera when camera is controlled by null object.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kozo Okumura
how to move light along with camera when camera is controlled by null object.
on Apr 1, 2012 at 3:04:31 am

i have several layers in 3d space and having the camera traveling to visit those layers.
I like to have the light move along with camera as in the real life situation like sun gun light attached to camera.

if i move the camera directly, i can simply parenting the light position to the camera position and easily achieve what i want.
but if i like to control the camera with null object, parenting light position to the camera position doesn't give me the result i want. can you help me how to do this when camera is controlled via null object.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: how to move light along with camera when camera is controlled by null object.
on Apr 1, 2012 at 7:11:53 am

What do you mean by:
"parenting light position to the camera position doesn't give me the result i want"

If you parent the light to your camera layer and the camera to a Null, the Light should move together with the camera, so I'm not quite sure I understand your issue.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kozo Okumura
Re: how to move light along with camera when camera is controlled by null object.
on Apr 1, 2012 at 2:47:39 pm

sorry, i should have wrote

"parenting camera layer to null object "

you can actually try it. you see the light is not moving with camera anymore, this way.

Return to posts index

Kozo Okumura
on Apr 1, 2012 at 2:51:03 pm

sorry, i just figured this out.

when i parent the light layer to the camera layer as opposed to position parameter, it does what i want.
thank you!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Apr 2, 2012 at 9:10:56 am

That makes sense- when you parented the light to the camera position it did not move because the values of the position stay at 0 since you move the Null and not the camera itself. That is why you need to parent the light to the camera layer.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]