ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I convert frame rates properly?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Bear
How do I convert frame rates properly?
on Mar 30, 2012 at 10:44:24 pm

I have footage I filmed at 60i fps.
I am incorporating CG elements that were rendered out at 30 fps (progressive - since its all CG).

I need to be able to convert my 60i footage to 30p. I thought I knew what to do but my converted videos are playing at double, quadruple speed, sometimes half speed.

Upon importing the 60i image sequence, I interpreted the footage at 60 fps, using lower fields first.
I created a new composition out of it and changed the composition's settings to 29.97 fps. The video plays at double speed or faster.
Even interpreting the footage as 29.97 with lower field first and the composition being 29.97, it still seems to play fast.

I'm a bit at a loss on how to properly convert this footage. Can anyone shed some light on what I'm missing?
Thanks in advance!!

-Aaron-
"Wherever you go, there you are"

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: How do I convert frame rates properly?
on Mar 31, 2012 at 5:00:17 am

*Edit* I answered this assuming I was still browsing the Premiere forum... you might just want to skip to the link at the bottom.

Premiere does automatic conforming. Try this first, and see if the results are suitable for the look of your footage before jumping into some more exotic techniques:

1. I assume your timeline is 60i to match your footage, and you'll probably carry that all the way to output?

2. Import your CG footage. If it's a video, it should come in marked as 30fps (and talk to your CG artist and make sure it's 30 straight and not actually 29.97), if it's an image sequence, then interpret it as 30fps.

3. (optional) Right click the CG footage in your timeline and uncheck frame blending. You can play with this setting on/off to see how you like the final result.

4. Drag the CG footage into your timeline and render out to a file with "Maximum Quality" checked.

Premiere will do it's magic, so whenever 1 min of footage is thrown into a mismatched timeline, it plays as 1 min long. It's when you manually screw around with reinterpreting the footage do you actually retime it.

If you don't like the results then this article explains the process step-by-step http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/interlacing-progressive-footage but it still recommends trying the method I outline above first.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 31, 2012 at 4:13:43 pm

[Aaron Bear] "I need to be able to convert my 60i footage to 30p."

This is dead simple. add the 59.94i footage to a 29.97 comp. Enable frame blending for the layer. Render with NO fields. Done.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aaron Bear
on Mar 31, 2012 at 8:40:10 pm

Thanks for the replies, helpful information that I'll keep in my trouble-shooting notes.

I ended up figuring out the problem myself. Turns out I was doing the process correctly but somehow the image sequence of my raw video was exported as 15 fps. Once I changed the frame rate to 60 fps and re-exported the image sequence, everything worked like a charm.

Guess its one of those doh! moments :)

Thanks for the help and the tips.

-Aaron-
"Wherever you go, there you are"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]