ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Some advice on multiple cores and laptops

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joris BergmansSome advice on multiple cores and laptops
by on Mar 30, 2012 at 12:25:53 pm

Hi there,

I want to buy a new laptop (I know it's not ideal, but I would like to be able to be a bit more mobile).
After a lot of research, I think the HP elitbook 8560w seems like a good option, concidering my budget and needs (although I'll add some extra ram)

LG660EA (specs)
EliteBook 8560w Mobile Workstation - Windows® 7 Professional, Intel® Core™ i5-2540M (2.60 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache), Intel® QM67 Express, 500 GB 7200 rpm SATAII, AMD FirePro M5950 1 GB GDDR5, DVD SuperMulti, 39.624 cm (15.6 ") LED-backlit FHD WVA anti-glare (1920 x 1080), SD/MMC, HD webcam, Gigabil LAN, WLAN, BT 2.1+EDR

LG661EA (specs)
Intel Core i7-2630QM (2.0GHz, 6MB L3), 39.624 cm (15.6 ") LED FHD WVA (1920 x 1080), 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA II 7200 rpm, DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL, NVIDIA Quadro 1000M, 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, webcam, Windows 7 Professional 64

I can get either one of these options, for about 1250 euro, which seems like a good deal.
In general the LG661EA seems better, but I'm especially wondering about the GPU. The LG660EA comes witha 2.8 Ghz duo core, and the LG661EA with a 2.0 Ghz quad core.
Which one would be better for After Effects? I heard quad core is better for AE, but strange enough I usually switch off multiple frame processing at my desktop (about 2.2 Ghz quad, 8GB ram) as it seems to go slower during preview.
So I wonder if I would benefit more from a slower quadcore than a higher duo core.

Which laptop would you advice? Or do you know a better machine for about the same price? There are gaming and multimedia laptops with better specs, but I fear a bit for their quality, compared to the HP wich was designed as a workstation.

Thank you for your advice!

Return to posts index

Joris BergmansRe: Some advice on multiple cores and laptops
by on Mar 30, 2012 at 12:56:33 pm

Hmm.. when I said "I'm especially wondering about the GPU", ofcourse I ment CPU :)

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Some advice on multiple cores and laptops
by on Mar 30, 2012 at 7:11:06 pm

I'd get the quad-core.

Watch this video to see how multiple cores are used my multithreading even if you doun't use Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing:
http://www.video2brain.com/en/videos-5355.htm

See this page for information about hardware for After Effects: http://adobe.ly/pRYOuk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Mar 30, 2012 at 7:47:01 pm

Thanks for the help and info!
The whole workshop you did seems very useful, I'm gonna look into that!

As far as the set-up of the laptops I linked above goes, do you think they're good value? Somehow I keep wondering if I shouldn't get something that has perhaps less build quality, but more powerful hardware (invest more in cores and ram?).
It's not like I'm gonna move around with it every day, but at the same time I want to last it for at least a year or 3.

What do you think..?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Some advice on multiple cores and laptops
by on Mar 30, 2012 at 7:49:01 pm

I have no comment about specific manufacturers and the quality of their merchandise.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Some advice on multiple cores and laptops
by on Mar 30, 2012 at 9:59:51 pm

If you do any editing with PremierePro or intend to do so in the future, then you should look into getting a GPU that supports CUDA. Rather than committing to a purchase too quickly, perhaps it's best that you conduct a more thorough research on notebooks and the type of GPU installed.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Some advice on multiple cores and laptops
by on Mar 31, 2012 at 8:34:27 am

I have the HP Elitebook 8560w and it's awesome... Most expensive thing I've bought ever but damn it's cool.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 31, 2012 at 8:53:47 am

Thanks for all the answers once again!

Tero, could you tell me a bit more why you think the Elitebook is so awesome and what you use it for (and which set-up you have)?

I'm an animator specialized in 2D animation, so I mostly use Photoshop, After Effects, Flash and animation specific programs like Toon Boom. From time to time I use Premiere for editing. I don't use a lot of 3D software, although that might change in the future...

For some reason I keep looking back to the XPS15 or XPS15z from Dell. They seem to have better specs for about 1200 euro instead of 1250. They're also thinner and lighter. Of course they're not as sturdy as a business model, but I don't know if I really need that.

sigh.. so many decisions to made :)

Return to posts index

by on Mar 31, 2012 at 10:16:00 am

I got the top of the line version with the Dreamcolor display. You can get it for cheaper without that, but it looks great. I use Production Premium CS5 on it and it works smoothly. I can work with any kind of footage up to native 4K RED files on Premiere and After Effects nicely (not in full quality realtime though!) and Resolve Lite runs in realtime with different kinds of footage. It also rugged, nice looking and has the nicest touchpad I've used on Windows laptops. I just need to add some RAM in it to get that little bit more oomph out of it, but I'm really happy with it.

There's only one thing I don't like about it and that's the GINORMOUS 200W power brick. It can suck over 100W if your pushing it all the way but that brick is way overkill for light work.

Return to posts index

Jon BaggeRe: Some advice on multiple cores and laptops
by on Mar 31, 2012 at 12:25:19 pm

A big part of the decision should be how much RAM you can cram into the machine. Both those models come with 4GB which isn't really enough. Try and get at least 8GB, and 16GB if you can fit it in. With 8GB you should be able to run multiprocessing with 2 cores (leaving 2 free for the system).

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

by on Mar 31, 2012 at 12:30:35 pm

Yeah. The HP can handle up to 32 gigs of RAM and mine came with 8 gigs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]