ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

CS5 how do you copy a Polystar's path?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paula LavalleCS5 how do you copy a Polystar's path?
by on Mar 26, 2012 at 10:40:32 pm

Hello all,

Long-time lurker, first time poster here! And I'm completely stuck.

I am trying for the life of me to copy a Polystar's path to a mask path. The help docs and many threads here say "Just select the Shape Path, copy it, and paste it into the Mask Path." This totally works for shapes with a Path property, but a Polystar doesn't have a dedicated "Path" property.

So, is it possible to copy a polystar's path into a mask?

Thank you in advance!

These are the attributes? properties? of the Polystar Path:

Return to posts index

Paula LavalleRe: CS5 how do you copy a Polystar's path?
by on Apr 6, 2012 at 1:54:38 am

I suppose no response means either this is a really dumb question or impossible?

So, I wanted to copy the Polystar paths so I could create a mask from them. The goal is a two second transition where my Polystar expands from the middle of frame A to fill all of the frame and then go back in reverse to reveal frame B. Thus I needed to create something with transparency that could be dropped into Final Cut Pro to serve as the transition between two frames.

Also, I'm pretty sure I spent more time searching for an answer on how to copy Polystar paths than if I had just created new masks from scratch. Oh well.

I'm absolutely sure there's a better way to do this, but I thought I'd share my terrible solution for those who enjoy terrible solutions: I changed the colors of the Polystar Shapes to either black or white, depending on when I wanted them to be seen. All the Polystars were in one layer, so I changed that layer's mode to "Silhouette Luma" (so everything that is white becomes transparent), and created a solid underneath at "Normal" mode with the desired color/background image for the (anytime the Polystars are black) visible shapes.

To be honest, I still don't understand why this works, but it does.

Then, when you add your composition to the render queue, click on Render Settings, and Channels under Video Output needs to be RGB + Alpha and Color is Straight (Unmatted). Magic happens, and you can safely drop your transition into Final Cut Pro with transparency! woo!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved