ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Particles and Depth of Field Issues with Starfield Fly-Through

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Booth
Particles and Depth of Field Issues with Starfield Fly-Through
on Mar 26, 2012 at 4:27:35 pm

Ok. I have a comp in AFX where I have a camera fly-through happening with some particles to simulate a star field. Simple right? Except the clients wants to see an extremely narrow depth of field. With a pretty large aperture, I have achieve this, of course. But I've noticed that as some of the particles in the foreground fly off the screen edge, their DOF blur simple "pops" off the screen, and since some of these are quite large the effect is undesirable. Is there a quick and easy solution to this issue. I have a lot of volumetric lighting effects in the comp too that makes this even more noticeable when it happens.

Particles were created with Particular. Camera is set to 35mm with an aperture of around 4000 and the iris set to decagon.

Thank you all for any help/advice you can give.

Charles

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Particles and Depth of Field Issues with Starfield Fly-Through
on Mar 26, 2012 at 5:55:08 pm

[Charles Booth] " But I've noticed that as some of the particles in the foreground fly off the screen edge, their DOF blur simple "pops" off the screen, and since some of these are quite large the effect is undesirable. Is there a quick and easy solution to this issue."

This sounds like a Particular bug. My guess is that the Particular renderer doesn't take into account the fact that DoF blur basically enlarges the size of particles, so it removes them from the view as soon as the main particle itself (not its extended DoF blur) crosses the Particular layer's bounds.

A solution for you might be enlarging the solid that Particular is on so it exceeds the comp size. Maybe bump it up 10% or so. The particles will still disappear the instant they hit the layer bounds, but that should happen off-camera so it won't be visible to you.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]