ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Refraction inside After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew BelinkieRefraction inside After Effects?
by on Mar 23, 2012 at 7:34:10 pm

I'm working on a award show graphics package. The actual trophy is a glass obelisk, which I created inside AE using nine solids. I made them white and turned the opacity down to 50, and it looks kinda like glass. But you know what would be awesome? Getting the 3D object to distort the background realistically, as I rotate it around. Any ideas? This may be something that's impossible without a true 3D program, but I thought I'd see if there were any good ideas for faking it.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Refraction inside After Effects?
by on Mar 23, 2012 at 7:56:16 pm

You might want to take a look at this tutorial, not true refraction, but it might give you some ideas:

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Refraction inside After Effects?
by on Mar 24, 2012 at 8:45:45 am

Put a black 2d solid behind the object. Use several lights to get interesting light modeling on it. Render that as a b&w clip and use as a displacement map to distort the background. Use the different transfer modes to see which works.

Another idea (it depends a lot on how the object looks) is to use FreeForm Pro or ShapeShifter AE to create a 3d object and apply a reflection map using the background image. A transparency pass and some compositing magic could provide a cool result.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved