ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

PreComp Tears Apart in 3D Move

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff BreuerPreComp Tears Apart in 3D Move
by on Mar 23, 2012 at 6:33:10 pm

Hey folks, I have a PreComp where I have a puppet tool effect and then have it spin in 3D space. I brought that into a 2D comp, same specs. The Puppet effect is fine, but when it spins the graphic tears apart into two along a horizontal cut.

If I turn the FX button off, the spin works great, but I loose the puppet effect. If I split the PreComp in half and just remove the fx button on the layer that has the spin, you see a visible jump in the graphic at the seem.

Any thoughts?

Jeff

After Effects CS 5.5
Mac OSX 10.5.8
4GB RAM
2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: PreComp Tears Apart in 3D Move
by on Mar 23, 2012 at 6:43:50 pm

From your description of the problem, it would appear you're doing something that you shouldn't be doing. Here's a quote from AE's online help on the topic:

"Note: Don’t animate the position or scale of a continuously rasterized layer with layer transformations if you are also animating the layer with the Puppet tools. The render order for continuously rasterized layers—such as shape layers and text layers—is different from the render order for raster layers. You can precompose the shape layer and use the Puppet tools on the precomposition layer, or you can use the Puppet tools to transform the shapes within the layer..."

You might have to figure out a different way to do it.

Oh, and here's the page from which I quoted. You might find it helpful:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WSB2E4332E-8EA6-4fa2-AF6F...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremy AllenRe: PreComp Tears Apart in 3D Move
by on Mar 23, 2012 at 7:55:14 pm

Could you pre-render the puppet effect with alpha, import that and then put the spin on it?

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 18GB RAM, OSX 10.5.8

C4D 12
AE CS5 (10.0.2.4)
FCP 7.0.3
QT 7.6.4

Return to posts index

Jeff BreuerRe: PreComp Tears Apart in 3D Move
by on Mar 23, 2012 at 8:18:57 pm

Dave, thanks for the link. I've been going over this several time. If inside my PreComp is my Vector based text and shape and my 3D movement, and in my main comp, Continuous Rasterization is off and the Puppet Tool applied to the PreComp, according to this article, that SHOULD work, should it not? It doesn't seem to work for me.

Thanks,

Jeff

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: PreComp Tears Apart in 3D Move
by on Mar 23, 2012 at 8:29:08 pm

I don't work with the Puppet Tool much, but I've found that getting good-looking results can be a crap shoot sometimes.. and that's the Puppet tool on a plain-old 2D layer. Precomping and then using 3D may be driving AE over the edge.

I like the idea of prerendering if it's possible for you to do so. It would eliminate the likelihood of your playing "Stump The Software", which I suspect is happening in your current workflow.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jon BaggeRe: PreComp Tears Apart in 3D Move
by on Mar 25, 2012 at 12:44:36 pm

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're doing here, but I know the puppet tool very well, so here are some pointers:

The puppet tool remembers what the layer looked like when you apply the tool. Specifically it tracks where the edge of the alpha channel is. You can then warp it with the puppet tool. This means you can't change the layer itself to any great degree without breaking the puppet effect.

So if you apply the puppet tool to a pre-comp, and then animate inside the pre-comp so the position/shape of the alpha channel changes, the puppet tool will break and you will get some strange tearing.

This also means you can't use continuous rasterization/collapse transformations with the puppet tool. For example if you're applying the puppet tool to an illustrator layer, you can't turn on continuous rasterization. This is because it will change the render order and apply transformations before the puppet tool, which may break it for the same reason as the first example.

Does this help?

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Jeff BreuerRe: PreComp Tears Apart in 3D Move
by on Mar 26, 2012 at 3:54:03 pm

Jon, thank you for your excellent explanation of this phenomenon. Your first example is exactly what I was trying to do. I tried Jeremy's suggestion of doing a pre-render, but apparently that is still in conflict with this alpha channel issue. So I suppose even if I made a movie w/ alpha channel and brought it back into AE, it would still have this issue.

Thankfully the part that was breaking was a solid color so I just rotoscoped a solid color matte over the breakage. I would love to find a way to pull off this effect in the future, but in the meantime I suppose it will just have to be an effect that sounds simple in my head but is ridiculously complex for AE.

Thanks for all of your help, tips and explanations everyone, it was much appreciated!

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jon BaggeRe: PreComp Tears Apart in 3D Move
by on Mar 26, 2012 at 6:51:48 pm

What exactly are you trying to achieve?
Also using other warp effects might work too. Things like mesh warp is agnostic about what you do to the underlying layer.

Another option is to apply the puppet tool to a layer/precomp that temporarily has an alpha channel that is bigger than anything that will happen later. The puppet tool will remember this alpha channel even when you remove the temporary alpha and replace it with your animated precomp.

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Daniel FutermanRe: PreComp Tears Apart in 3D Move
by on Aug 12, 2012 at 8:53:06 am

Having exactly the same issues as you Jeff.. Quite frustrating..

Return to posts index

Austin HillRe: PreComp Tears Apart in 3D Move
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 5:25:20 am

Not sure if CS6 handles the puppet tool any better than in CS5.5 but I also find it to be wonky town.

this might be worth a look if you are doing a lot of bone rigging on 2D. But more if for "puppet" type characters...

just throwing it out there. I used to play around with it a bit back when it was called "moho".

Return to posts index

Austin HillRe: PreComp Tears Apart in 3D Move
by on Sep 5, 2012 at 5:26:10 am

Oh, oops...

it's called Anime Studio Pro

http://anime.smithmicro.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]