ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Reduce Noise does not Work?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cornel Becheru
Reduce Noise does not Work?
on Mar 23, 2012 at 1:41:08 pm

Hi,

I got a Problem with my Reduce Noise Effect in After Effects CS5 on a Mac Pro MId 2009, 8 Core 2,66, 16 GB RAM.

I got some footage that was shot on a 5D Mark II and a Sony EX1. Edites in Avid and rendered out in DNX HD 180 Codec.
I Graded the footage but when i applied the Reduce Noise Effect nothing happens. Not even the slightest chance in the pixel structure.

On my Other Footage that i got out of my 5D Mark II and that i coded in Apple Pro Res 422 HD the Effect works just fine.

Does anybody know why the Effects does not apply and how i could fix this problem?

thanks a lot
Cornel

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Reduce Noise does not Work?
on Mar 23, 2012 at 2:50:31 pm

Is Reduce Noise the first effect in your effect stack?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cornel Becheru
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:40:43 pm

I tried several approaches. i had the effect on the layer. i had the effect on an adjustment layer and i rendered the movie with the color correction and tried to apply the effect as the only one on the rendered movie.

all these methods had no effect. the noise reduction just does not apply.
if i enable the unsharp mask then the footage is sharpened normally. so the noise reduction is the only thing that does not work.

i really cannot put my finger on this one... on all other footage i have got the effects applies normally. i guess it must have something to do with the codec.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:08:55 pm

How are you applying the effect- on the layer or on an adjustment layer?
Did you try changing the sample source frame?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Cornel Becheru
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:49:33 pm

I do not know much about the manual distribution of the samples. i tried it now. but with no effect.
i had the effect applied on the original layer and tried it on a adjustment layer too. and i rendered the movie and treid the effect on the mivie. also no effect... :(

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:52:13 pm

Strange - can you render a couple of seconds and post that so we can try it?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Mar 23, 2012 at 4:33:01 pm

Where did you get this Reduce Noise plugin from? Are you sure that you're not referring to Remove Grain?

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Cornel Becheru
on Mar 23, 2012 at 4:53:54 pm

Oh sorry i am working with the german version. yes its remve grain.

i´ve done some more tests now and rendered two small samples to post here. but with these samples the effect works just great. but it does not wor with the entire film. so i thought the file might be too big. but then i imported a apple pro res 4444 file with 26gb from a former project and the effect had no problem with this one... i just do not understand where the problem is.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:03:00 pm

I am assuming that you do know that the Remove Grain plugin defaults to a preview and that you have to change the View Mode to Final Output prior to rendering.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Cornel Becheru
on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:41:21 pm

yes i know that...

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Mar 23, 2012 at 6:12:16 pm

Well, it then gets closer to the issue being related to the CODEC - which is rather strange.

Perhaps, you can try to transcode to a CODEC that has worked previously - a 10-second segment should suffice for a test.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Cornel Becheru
on Mar 23, 2012 at 6:40:32 pm

well and here is the strange thing. i thought it was the codec at first. but then i rendered two 5 second test videos to post here on the forum. one in apple pro res 422 hq and one in the original dnx hd 180 codec.
when i tested the footage the effect applied to both videos.
when i tried the full movie it did not work.

so it has to be a problem with the size.
i have split the video in 30 second segments now and i can use the effect on the footage.
so i found a workaround.
but it is not very confortable especially if i would get a longer video from the same people.

even more strange is that i never had a problem using the effect on longer videos. i tried a test on a 15 minute video coded in apple pro res 4444 with 26gb in size and the effect worked without problem.

however it is rendering now ;)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Mar 28, 2012 at 5:23:23 pm

Check to see if your project was 8bit or 16/32bit. Sometimes I had issues with Remove Grain in 16 or 32 bit projects.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Ken Evans
on Mar 14, 2014 at 1:34:52 pm

I know this post is old but for others chasing their tail with this:

By default the Remove Grain filter works from frame 1 of the movie. So if you have black at the start from a timeline export, chances are it will have no grain in it and the effect won't do anything. Simply advance the source frame parameter from the Sampling section in the effects controls tab to the frame you're looking to reduce noise in, then the effect should work fine.

Senior Technician, Moving Image Department - Kingston University London.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]