ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Adding circle drop shadows to characters

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin WilliamsonAdding circle drop shadows to characters
by on Mar 22, 2012 at 5:07:26 pm

Hi guys,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm currently working on a stylized animation project where they've decided that they want the characters to have simple circle drop shadows underneath them, like the one on the right:

My question is this: I know I can just link a circle texture to each anim, but I'm wondering if there's a way to do it with a preset effect on the animation layer (quite preferable as there are hundreds of animations and many of them have a lot of moving around in Z-depth). Generate --> Circle won't work because it won't composite under the original, and Perspective --> Drop Shadow won't let me change the offset/scale of the shadow.

I know I can get this done with a lot of elbow grease, but considering the dozens of hours the forum posters have saved me in the past, I thought I'd ask you folks :)

Return to posts index

Kevin CaminRe: Adding circle drop shadows to characters
by on Mar 23, 2012 at 3:03:36 pm

I would draw in AE or import from Illustrator your circular shadow. I would put it '1' value behind your character in Z space then parent that layer to character. I think the anchor points need to be aligned to prevent unwanted drift.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved