ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

KIVA video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Syed IqbalKIVA video
by on Mar 21, 2012 at 10:55:12 pm

Hi friends

I recently got a chance to view this infographic sort of video from KIVA Microfinance.

I love this work and am curious to know what could be the right workflow to achieve this kind of effect. I am not asking for a step by step guide but rather a basic key guideline sort of thing.

Do you believe the designer laid out all the precomposed layers or individual layers within a large sized main comp, say a 2500x2500px main comp.

May be I have not explained it well, but I guess you get the idea what am I talking about.

I would be waiting for you ideas and comments on this soon.

Syed

TweenGuy

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: KIVA video
by on Mar 22, 2012 at 12:55:26 am

[Syed Iqbal] "Do you believe the designer laid out all the precomposed layers or individual layers within a large sized main comp, say a 2500x2500px main comp."

With 3D layers and an animated camera, there is no reason to work in an oversized comp.

You can use the camera tools in a custom view [link] to get a wider look at your comp without affecting animation on your active camera.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Syed IqbalRe: KIVA video
by on Mar 22, 2012 at 11:45:49 am

Hi Walter
I would really appreciate if you could just give me a basic workflow idea for the first 11 secs only. Obviously, the remaining animation will be following the same principles.

Syed

TweenGuy

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:49:02 am

Hi Walter
Thanks for your response, however, I am still not sure how this could be achieved without using an over-sized comp. In the example video, it seems as if all the pieces are already sitting on a large canvas and its only a matter of timing when they come into the camera focus or in other words when get to see them on screen.

OK let's talk about first 11 seconds only when the last piece of text "PEOPLE IN NEED" comes into place. Do you think the animation for the first 11 seconds was done by using different precomps? I am sorry but it seems my 3d concepts in AE are really weak which i admit. But I somehow need help from experts like you to overcome this.

Syed

TweenGuy

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: KIVA video
by on Mar 23, 2012 at 1:39:13 pm

[Syed Iqbal] "Thanks for your response, however, I am still not sure how this could be achieved without using an over-sized comp. In the example video, it seems as if all the pieces are already sitting on a large canvas and its only a matter of timing when they come into the camera focus or in other words when get to see them on screen."

With a 2D comp (no camera), the comp dimensions limit, for lack of a better word, your canvas. You have a fixed frame of reference. You can arrange and move elements on your canvas, and you can have elements that exist in the world outside of what you can see on your canvas, but you cannot move your view of the canvas itself.

Working in 3D, with a comp that contains at least one camera and at least one 3D layer, you don't have a canvas at all. Instead, your comp viewer is a window into the 3D world. You can move elements within your 3D world, and you can move the camera, thereby changing your view of the world. Your frame of reference is variable. You can pan, tilt, orbit, track, and dolly freely in 3D space. You can achieve animation by moving the elements, or by leaving the elements still and moving the camera around them.

Scale has a fixed relationship to on-screen size in a 2D comp, but in a 3D comp, an object's distance to the camera affects its on-screen size, too. By using the custom views that I linked to above, you can build out an entire world in 3D space using a distant camera as your custom view. Switching to active camera view, you can fly through that world with a much closer camera to get the effect you're looking for.

In terms of workflow, I'd add some text and shape layers to a comp, add a camera, promote your text and shape layers to 3D, use a custom view to position them in 3D space, then animate them and the camera.

If you're unfamiliar with 3D layers, here's a basic introduction:
http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/tutorials/07.3d/

Animating a camera directly is often clumsy, so most AE users create rigs for their cameras. I'd encourage you to review this series by Andrew Devis:
http://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/Animating-a-Camera-1/1
http://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/Animating-a-Camera-2/1
http://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/Animating-a-Camera-3/1

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Mar 23, 2012 at 8:29:36 pm

Thanks a lot Walter. I hope I would be able to learn a lot from these links.

TweenGuy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]