ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS5.5 Ram Preview Issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy RubinAfter Effects CS5.5 Ram Preview Issues
by on Mar 21, 2012 at 3:52:50 pm

Hi,

I'm currently having issues with RAM preview in After Effects. It fails to render my entire workspace. I have a solid layer with a paint effect on it that has about 27 brush strokes, with their start/end keyframed. I try to render about 22 seconds worth and it only gets to about 14 seconds.

This is a new issue that came up yesterday as well. It's been happening when I duplicate layers into new comps or dup entire comps. This same thing happened when I was trying to render a comp with about 10 illustrator layers with only transform/mask keyframes.

I'm working on an iMac 3.4 ghz i7 with 16gb of ram. My media cache is at 20gb. I have 3 GB ram reserved for other applications, 1 CPU reserved for other apps, 2GB allocated per bg cpu and 5 Actual CPUs being used.

Any help much appreciated

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CS5.5 Ram Preview Issues
by on Mar 21, 2012 at 4:19:14 pm

Here's some good information on RAM Previewing:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Look at the first section on RAM Previewing at the top of the page, and the tips at the bottom.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Randy RubinRe: After Effects CS5.5 Ram Preview Issues
by on Mar 21, 2012 at 4:33:46 pm

Thanks, I've reviewed this section - nothing really answers my question. I typically can RAM preview working spaces much longer than 14 seconds of the same material or the same material + 12 layers beneath it. If I missed something please let me know.

Thanks,
Randy

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2012 at 4:43:46 pm

It might be annoying, but don't sweat it. Neither your computer nor AE broke or anything like that. With all the processors you have allocated to AE, if you do something that's RAM intensive rather than processor intensive, things like this'll happen.

People rarely get RAM Previews that are a long as they'd like. You learn how to deal with it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Randy RubinRe: After Effects CS5.5 Ram Preview Issues
by on Mar 21, 2012 at 5:29:16 pm

I think that just answered my question. I turned off multiple processing and was able to watch the entire length of the working space. I assume this solution is only recommended for comps that aren't processor intensive.

Would a RAM preview of a 3D comp with lights qualify as 'processor intensive'?

Thanks,

Randy

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2012 at 5:37:49 pm

Yup.

But since you reviewed the ways to preview, you're aware that you can shorten the AE Work Area to preview smaller portions of the comp. I think I'd do that instead.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After Effects CS5.5 Ram Preview Issues
by on Mar 21, 2012 at 6:54:18 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "But since you reviewed the ways to preview, you're aware that you can shorten the AE Work Area to preview smaller portions of the comp. I think I'd do that instead."

Or RAM preview at lower resolution, or RAM preview with skipped frames.

Personally, I set up Shift-RAM preview at quarter or half res, skipping every other frame. I keep RAM preview at half or full res, every frame.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]