ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Question about Twixtor: Shot in 60fps... what speed do I need to get it to play back at 24fps?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Calabig
Question about Twixtor: Shot in 60fps... what speed do I need to get it to play back at 24fps?
on Mar 20, 2012 at 6:50:47 pm

I'm trying to take my slowed down, conformed footage which was shot at 60fps, 120 shutter and change it to 24fps. What speed should I set in Twixtor to achieve this?

Also, would it be possible to take this footage back into After Effects later in order to perform slow motion?

The reason for this convoluted workflow is I'm trying to speed ramp some shots to sync in a music video. I figured I could convert the footage to 24fps, take the parts I want playing at normal speed, then take the remainder of the footage back into AE to slow it down again.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Question about Twixtor: Shot in 60fps... what speed do I need to get it to play back at 24fps?
on Mar 20, 2012 at 7:20:52 pm

So have 60fps footage which you have interpreted at 24fps to get slow motion, and you want to get it to play at full speed in a 24fps comp?

Speed it up 250%.

Here's the algebra:
24 * x = 60
x = 60/24
x = 2.5

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Question about Twixtor: Shot in 60fps... what speed do I need to get it to play back at 24fps?
on Mar 20, 2012 at 7:50:54 pm

Just to add a bit to Walter's advice:

Frame rates are tricky, and if you don't get them right they'll come back to bite you. You probably shot at 59.94 fps; you can check by highlighting the clip in the project window, then looking for the frame rate in the info at the top. If it's 59.94 -- and it probably is -- your 24 should actually be 23.976 fps.

The easy way to slow down your footage by a factor of 2.5 will be found in AE's Interpret footage settings. Simply conform your footage to 23.976. Put it in a 23.976 comp. Render. Done.

Want it slower? That's when you use Twixtor. It would be dead simple to tell Twixtor to make the footage twice as slow, meaning it would be 5 times slower than the original. Great looking, too.

Incidentally, a good NLE should also have the ability to conform frame rates, no AE necessary.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]