ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Emitting particles from a Form shape using Particular...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter KlavinsEmitting particles from a Form shape using Particular...
by on Mar 19, 2012 at 11:19:48 pm

Pretty simple question which I've tried to accomplish for hours to no avail... can one emit particles from a Form shape in any way? I've tried using Layer emit in Particular, selecting the layer containing the Form shape, yet nothing happens... this seems like something which should work, if only I knew how...

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Emitting particles from a Form shape using Particular...
by on Mar 20, 2012 at 12:27:51 am

You would have to precompose the layer with form.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Peter KlavinsRe: Emitting particles from a Form shape using Particular...
by on Mar 20, 2012 at 12:54:45 am

I tried that, moving the form settings to a precomposed comp, and after making the precomposed layer 3D it still won't emit anything as far as I can see...

Return to posts index

Peter KlavinsRe: Emitting particles from a Form shape using Particular...
by on Mar 20, 2012 at 1:00:43 am

Sorry... edit to my last post; it worked now, but the particles aren't responding to the movements of the form layer. The form shape is moving from fractal noise, and what I'd want is the Particular particles to be 'thrown off' this shape as it moves, whereas now it's just a static field of particles being produced over the space occupied by the shape, if that makes sense...

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Emitting particles from a Form shape using Particular...
by on Mar 20, 2012 at 11:45:59 am

Particular & Form won't work together like that as you probably have discovered. While they both can use and interact in AE's 3d space, they are both 2d effects and they don't have the ability to measure the distance a flowing form shape is from the camera, or what direction it is flowing. All Particular will see is a white alpha channel that indicates it should put particles at that location, it can not discern which way the particles should be moving based on the movements of another layer.

This is something you might be able to accomplish in a 3D modelling application like C4D, but not truly in AE.

Perhaps you could fake it with multiple form layers, using the same fractal patterns. The top layer would have a lot less particles and the fractal could displace them quite far in distance.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]