ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Media Management (collect files) of only USED elements

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam HareMedia Management (collect files) of only USED elements
by on Mar 15, 2012 at 7:34:55 pm

We are creating After Effects projects on a regular basis that use portions of huge (half hour/hour long) Quicktimes at relatively high quality. The portions used, however, are fairly small. Time being the issue it is, we generally don't have time to media manage the files in Final Cut Pro beforehand, and changes on the fly sometimes require different portions of the media to be used (which would require multiple media managing), so this is not an option.

The question is: is there a way in After Effects, during the collect process or otherwise (as there is in Final Cut Media Manager) to ONLY media manage or collect just the USED portions of the files, and discard the unused elements?

We are using CS5 and FCP 7; we have a number of different machines with different specs.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Media Management (collect files) of only USED elements
by on Mar 16, 2012 at 2:06:30 pm

[Sam Hare] "The question is: is there a way in After Effects, during the collect process or otherwise (as there is in Final Cut Media Manager) to ONLY media manage or collect just the USED portions of the files, and discard the unused elements? "

Nope. But if you'd like there to be, you can consider filing a feature request [link].

What's your workflow now? Are you just revealing clips from FCP in the Finder and importing those files into AE?

When I need to work with a clip from FCP, I match frame the clip from the timeline into the viewer, extend the in and out a couple seconds to give me some handles -- just in case. (If you need to bake FCP effects, copy the clip, paste it into a new sequence and add handles.) I export a self-contained file from FCP. I import that into AE, do my work, and render. I import that intermediate into FCP and perform a replace edit.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]