ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I create extreme motion blur effect in AE5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tricky UKHow do I create extreme motion blur effect in AE5
by on Mar 15, 2012 at 4:06:04 pm

I am rendering a sequence of animated, walking 3D people from 3ds MAX. What I want to achieve is an extreme motion blur effect for the people.

If the camera is ;locked-off' (i.e. static) I can achieve this effect using the AE effect called 'CC Wide Time'. It looks great and just what I want. I can adjust the flow/blur effect simply by increasing the forward and backward steps. Brilliant!

However, the problem is that I want to have the camera tracking from left to right across/above the people. When I now apply the same CC Wide Time effect, obviously it is taking account of both the camera motion and the people motion so the scene looks an almighty mess. Obviously, this is because the effect is not a true 3D effect.

How would I create a similar effect.?

I will try and upload a sample of what I am working on. I have the RE:Vision Real Smart Motion Blur plugin (which has the option of using velocity channels that I can output from Max, but early tests I have made haven't been at all successful).

Any tips or suggestions would be fantastic.

Return to posts index

Tricky UKRe: How do I create extreme motion blur effect in AE5
by on Mar 15, 2012 at 4:24:33 pm

Here is a video with the camera locked-off showing the effect I want to achieve on the people:-

people blur static camera

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: How do I create extreme motion blur effect in AE5
by on Mar 15, 2012 at 6:38:27 pm

Render the people with alpha and apply effect only on the people layer- this way the background and all other objects will stay clean.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Tricky UKRe: How do I create extreme motion blur effect in AE5
by on Mar 15, 2012 at 8:43:34 pm

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this will not work as both the camera and people are moving so the frame 'blending' is smearing past the camera as well as in the direction the people are walking. I will try and demonstrate tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: How do I create extreme motion blur effect in AE5
by on Mar 15, 2012 at 8:58:27 pm

How does ReelSmart Motion Blur work for you when you don't give it motion vectors?

That would generally be the route I'd take for adding motion blur. You can also do it with the Time > Timewarp effect (set speed to 100% and enable motion blur).

Your characters are moving very slowly in the scene you've provided, so you'll have to increase the shutter angle to an insanely high value to get dramatic motion blur (I'd start at 1440° and go up from there).

This amount of motion will of course look unreal on such a slow moving clip, but I assume that's part of the goal.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]