ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Keyframes next to each other with same value, yet value changes between them

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Brownstein
Keyframes next to each other with same value, yet value changes between them
on Mar 15, 2012 at 6:28:06 am

Hi All,

I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer to my problem, so here it goes...

I am working with a text layer. I have it fly in, then I want it to stay stationary and fly out. When I add the 2 middle key frames, with the same values so that it should stay stationary, the text drifts instead. I'm not sure what is causing this.

I have one keyframe (1) for the text off screen, another (2) that goes a little past where I want it to end up, then it 'bounces' back to the third keyframe (3) - It's stationary position. Then a few seconds later, I have another keyframe (4) with the same exact value as the previous one. and then 2 more keyframes (5 and 6) for it to fly off, in a similar manner to how it came on. The values of keyframes 3 and 4 are exactly the same, neither of them have easy ease enabled. Originally I had Easy ease on for keyframes 1 and 2. I tried turning those off, but it didn't make a difference.

I even tried changing to the graph view to see what was going on, but there was a straight, flat line between keyframes 3 and 4.

Anyone know how I can fix this? I'm sure it's something really simple, but beyond my beginner's understanding of the software.

Thanks!
Chad

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Keyframes next to each other with same value, yet value changes between them
on Mar 15, 2012 at 7:51:27 am

Usually that happens when you do not have linear interpolation set for your keyframes. Look in the comp window at the path - it's sometimes more revealing than the graph view.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: Keyframes next to each other with same value, yet value changes between them
on Mar 15, 2012 at 12:50:58 pm

If you go to preferences...you can check your "default keyframe values to linear" option...otherwise you can get some funkyness when 2 values remain the same...it puts movement in where you don't want it....then use bezier when applicable.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 15, 2012 at 2:44:10 pm

Sometimes people use the jargon 'boomerang' motion to refer to this phenomenon. There's an explanation here, along with links to some videos here on the COW explaining what is happening and how to work around it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 15, 2012 at 5:59:33 pm

...and let us not forget about the simple joys of the Toggle Hold Keyframe command, used on the incoming keyframe. It's just a right-click away.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chad Brownstein
on Mar 17, 2012 at 5:11:18 am

Thanks for your help everybody!

Return to posts index

Benjamin Ausmith
on Mar 26, 2012 at 8:14:34 pm

Also, with your motion path visible, you can use the 'convert vertex' tool to click on your motion path vertices and convert them to being straight. Same thing as everyone mentioned above, different way to go about it.

The reason your graph editor isn't showing what you want it to is probably because you have it set to speed graph instead of value graph. You can change this by clicking 'choose graph type and options' under the graph editor.

Benjamin Ausmith
Post-Production Assistant
Monadnock Media, inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]